B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

** Just Picked Up a TUNED 2003 Audi A4 1.8T!! Questions for experts! **

Old 04-18-2014, 03:42 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation ** Just Picked Up a TUNED 2003 Audi A4 1.8T!! Questions for experts! **

Hi guys. I joined these forums awhile back when I had a 1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro. Then I moved onto a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T. They're all gone now but I just picked up another B6 A4 1.8T 5-Speed manual.

I bought the car because it had such low original miles. 57k miles, Clean Title and in my favorite Dolphin Grey Pearl color. I've had tons of commuter cars and the B6 A4 was my favorite. The AMG's and ///M3/5 are my garage queens, although I ended up selling my M5 a few months ago. Contemplating on a 911 Turbo or a GT-R next.

Anyways, this B6 A4 came with a Milltek Sports Exhaust, KW V1 Coilovers, 19" TSW rims wrapped in Michellin PS2's. From what I could see at least.

I drove the car home and I could immediately tell it was MUCH quicker than the previous B6 A4 I had (which was stock). I thought maybe because of the better tires? Exhaust? But no... this felt MUCH faster than just having bolt-ons. I called the previous owner immediately but he had no idea what the car had. He bought the car just like that, barely drove it and bought a truck for his work. He had no idea about anything, let alone anything about tuning.

I thought to myself... this car MUST be chipped. There's just no way it's this quick. APR? REVO? It's been driving me crazy so I took it to a local APR dealer and asked if they could check it. Unfortunately, they were too busy and said they were going to charge me $150 dollars just to hook it up. Another option they gave me was to get a Boost Gauge to see what I'm boosting... but they wanted $600 for the gauge and install. Needless to say, I just left.

I did some research and found out that APR tuned cars can switch back and forth from Stock software to different programs by pressing and holding the Cruise Control "SET" button. If the CEL flashes once, you're on the first program... if it flashes twice, you're on the 2nd, etc. I immediately went to the car and tried this and as I predicted... it started flashing once, then twice. I was very excited to finally know for sure this car was APR tuned.

But there are still many unknowns that's driving me crazy.

When the CEL flashed once, I let go to select it. I tried turning the car on and it would crank but not start. I tried several times but the motor just wouldn't start. I set the program to #2 and started the car. It started up just fine and drove REALLY strong. Car feels great. Anyone know what program 1 could be and why it won't let the car start?

Is there anyway to tell if I have a Stage 1? Stage 1+? Stage 2? etc? without having to hook it up to the computer?

Another thing is the diverter valve. After accelerating/shifting, I definitely hear a woosh noise that sound similar to a BOV, followed by a dead bird squeeking. I've read that a lot of people get Forge 007 DV and reverse it? This makes the BOV type sound louder and squeeks? I don't have the time to take everything apart to see what DV I have and if this car is equipped with a K03 or K04 turbo. Is there an easy way to find all this info out without having to take things apart?

Lastly, I noticed the car making a whur/humm noise. Sounds like the fuel pump? Would replacing fuel filter resolve this problem or should I replace the pump itself?

ANY help would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.