B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

04 A4 Warning light

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Default 04 A4 Warning light

So I privately purchased a 6spd 2004 A4 3.0Q 7 months ago. I did not receive any manuals with it. I have seen an indicator light come on a few times but today my check engine light also came first and then this other light came on 2 mins later. I just had it in to an Audi dealer last week. I don't know what the typical reasons are for it. I think it came on when I lost traction in the snow once, but traction was not an issue today.

The light is the triangle, circle, exclamation point. Can you tell me what it means, and more importantly why it would have come on right after the check engine light came on?

gracias amigos

Old 01-27-2010, 11:25 AM
4th Gear

ITs the esp light. For traction. have u done anything to ur car or is it stock? Not aftermarket hids or anything either correct?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:06 PM

total stock. i thought it was traction but on dry cold new england roads today at steady highway speeds for 30 minutes the thing was on and idk why. it gets me nervous that it was coupled with the engine light.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:00 AM

Your ESP (or traction control light) will come on if your MAF (mass air flow sensor) is disconnected or in some circumstances not operable. Even a dirty or bad connection/connector can create a bad signal possibly making it act as if the connection is not even there..

It could be something as simple as activating the ESP. If you press the button, the light should come on meaning that your tranction control is OFF. (But then again, this feature does cause a CEL) When the light is off, traction control is ON. If the light goes off, the traction control light will simply flash when youre loosing traction. I don't mean to insult you but could you have possibly pressed the button by accident? Press the ESP button (next to your hazard button) and see if it goes off, and vice versa.

Look into the MAF. An OBDII reader or VAg-Com will show you if it's a bad MAF. Check the connection too!!!!

Last edited by pos04audiA41.8; 01-28-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
4th Gear

lemme ask u has your car died recently and u have to jump it or replaced ur battery. It might just need a few cycles and it will turn it self off.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear

is it like a small triangle with a circling arrow and yellow in color?

Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 PM

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you are asking but no, my car has not died lately or ever...

But jumping the battery makes your car start again? That's and alternator issue or perhaps some lights have been staying on somehow. And I don't even think that's possible.

Could you be a little more specific as the question you are asking?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by pos04audiA41.8
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you are asking but no, my car has not died lately or ever...

But jumping the battery makes your car start again? That's and alternator issue or perhaps some lights have been staying on somehow. And I don't even think that's possible.

Could you be a little more specific as the question you are asking?
Umm i was addressing the OP. And yes if u have jumper cables and ur car wont start due to a drained battery it will start it up again. Odds are airbag light will be on/esp light will be on/radio will be in safe mode/ and an autolevel will comeon.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by pa4ul
Umm i was addressing the OP. And yes if u have jumper cables and ur car wont start due to a drained battery it will start it up again. Odds are airbag light will be on/esp light will be on/radio will be in safe mode/ and an autolevel will comeon.
I do realize jumping your car will make it start.... I was asking you essentially, if you were simply having issues with your battery holding a charge. If that is your problem then this is almost simple mechanics and would require your alternator to be ohmed out to see if it's generating power. Anytime your system looses power for too long, the things you described will happen. Radio will have to be reset etc.... Go get that alternator looked at. You could possibly have a short in your terminal wires too.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM
4th Gear

ITs not me asking this question. My answer is being aimed at the op. I dont need any help with me battery it works just fine. And in audis if u battery is unplugged for more then 10 minutes the radio comes on with safe in the display. U will need a radio code to unlock it. Plus all the other stuff i mentioned will happen. Pointless. . .

Quick Reply: 04 A4 Warning light