B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2002 1.8t - almost at 80k and there's a LOT of issues..

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:07 AM
2nd Gear

damn 3 hours?! thats a while to find a reliable mechanic. ive been to storms a couple times just for parts and theyve been really nice and seem to be knowledgeable. i live in selden, so i go to audi of smithtown. ive had all my work done there because i havent found anyone else that i know is reputable. theyve been very good to me, and their whole service department is very courteous and are generally on top of things.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

Yeah three hours! That shop was run by dealer mechanics turned track mechanics, so they were definitely in it for the love of the cars. They always did beautiful work and I never had a problem because they always replaced things before they malfunctioned or wore out. It changed my whole outlook on preventative maintenance, ha. Plus they were reasonable and just wanted people out there enjoying their cars. Storms has always been good to me. I just like to know my car and the smaller shops usually are the ones that let you see the worn out parts or bring you into the shop to point out issues you may have while its up on the lift. Plus you rarely find a dealer who will recommend you go to ECS and buy the part and do it yourself... There should be a LI chapter of Audi USA where everyone can just congregate and work on their cars together once a month or something.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear

thatd be pretty sweet...i know theres a lot of city and LI guys on here so im sure thered be a good turn out. if you ever need help or want to get a cruise together or anything like that just pm me.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

Hey man, how have you been? It's been a crazy summer and time to do more work on the A4. I thought I'd hit you up to see if you'd ever tried to tackle a brake job or wheel bearings on your own - I ordered all the stuff and am going to try it this weekend. I am going to have the shop do the rear wheel bearings since that was what the ECS parts guy recommended, but otherwise it seems I can do the rest. But as with most things, I am sure there are nuances and hints that the manual doesn't cover. I hope all is well with you and that you're getting lots of time to enjoy your car! Any upgrades this summer?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

I have done quite a few thermostats. They are definitely not for the starter mechanics. You need to remove the alternator and throttle body if I remember correctly.

- Clint

Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrmike454
I thought I'd hit you up to see if you'd ever tried to tackle a brake job or wheel bearings on your own
Everything is pretty straight forward as long as you have the tool. Also, this is a little trick that will save you some serious headaches on the rear calipers. TAKE THE LOWER SHOCK BOLT OUT. Trust me on this. When you take it out, move the shock back so you can get a proper angle with the 8mm socket.

- Clint

Old 08-13-2010, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Hi Clint,
Thanks for the advice, sounds like it will make the job that much easier. It sounds like the thermostat is more difficult to replace than the one in my 82 Toyota P/U (which is the only other one I have replaced before) so maybe it's best to have it put in by the shop. Thanks!

Mike

Old 08-17-2010, 10:41 AM
2nd Gear

Hey Mike,

For the thermostat. I think this is what you need to replace and if you do, take it to a mechanic as it is a BITCH to do yourself.... I tried and i have small hands for a guy and I STILL couldn't get it off. Here's the DIY

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng66.shtml