B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

3.0 - immediate stalling on start up

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:30 PM
3rd Gear
Default 3.0 - immediate stalling on start up

I've done the search and most threads are about stalling when already running. Vehicle is a 2003 A4 3.0 MT6 with 86k miles which we have owned for three years and 17k miles. Symptom: on cold start up it fires and then immediately stalls after a couple seconds. This can happen 2-3x in a row then it runs fine. It has also started up immediately when cold (nothing like an intermittent problem).

Since we have had the car I replaced the air filter, cats (under warranty), had the coilpacks checked under a "recall" (no problem found), and replaced the exhaust cam position sensors. It has a two year old battery kept on battery tender this winter. We had no starting problem prior to pulling it out of storage this year.

Car was stored from August until late March and then taken immediately to my indie guy who did the timing belt. A couple days later the symptom started. I took it back to my indie - no codes other than a failed clutch interlock sensor which has been ongoing for over a year. BTW, my indie works on my A6 (two timing belts so far) and my three Crossfires. He knows his stuff. The only other issue is an ongoing CEL due to the clutch interlock sensor. It's been replaced twice but that does not fix the CEL, which goes away for a while and then reappears. The car is always started with the clutch depressed and when it stalls, it does so before the clutch is released in neutral.

Daughter then took the car to NY (600 miles) and it ran fine all the way. She only drives it once a week, and about every other time she starts it, it immediately stalls. Once it is running, it runs fine the rest of the day. She is bringing it home in three weeks and I'll be taking to my indie and ask him to replace the fuel filter. Any body out there have any other suggestions on what we can check?

Last edited by ppgoal; 04-25-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 PM
3rd Gear

You got the fuel filter mentioned, that's about the only thing... There's a guy on AZ that has a no start problem on his but I think his is the relay that engages the fuel pump.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear

I'll be watching this thread with keen interest, as my wife's 2003 Avant 3.0 Quattro Tip did the same thing last week. It stalled twice in a row, then started right up and ran great. Hasn't happened since.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear

The A4 won't be back for another three weeks but I will replace the fuel filter then and post results. I've done brake, transmission, and differential fluids but seem to have missed this filter.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 PM
3rd Gear

I'm almost sure that's your issue, the filter is starting to clog... either that or the pump.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Certified

First off...... the 3.0 is the most difficult timing belt to do. Guys at my shop stil have issues doing them, because they don't come around too often anymore.

I would put money on its your fuel pump and NOT your fuel filter. I have never seen a fuel filter so bad if will cause the car not to start. Reason being as soon as it starts to clog it makes a humming noise audible all the time.

Faulty pumps are common from 75k to 100k in miles. Though i don't usually see them causing starting issues, Just crap the bed and not start at all.

Assuming the timing belt is Ok, No faults.... generally means fuel related. My first guess would be fuel pump

Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 AM
4th Gear

was going to say u should have heard a hum noise from the filter prior to its cloggin. And pressure at the fuel rail?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear

AudiTek, my indie guys don't enjoy working on the 3.0 either. It's also strange that I did not have the starting problem until after the TB change...but, the car also sat from August to March in my garage and was not started. I suspect your diagnosis of fuel pump may be accurate but the fuel filter has never been changed and that's the cheapest place to start. I'll also ask the shop to check over the electrical connections (coils, etc) that may have been disturbed by the TB work. As I said, it starts up strong and then immediately dies. No low rpm or missing as if it's not getting enough gas. I also need to check to see if it is related to the clutch being in or out (with the tranny in neutral) since I have a misbehaving clutch sensor. And we'll check for codes again although there were not any the first time this happened. I'd prefer not to replace the fuel pump as a trial-and-error fix. The car will be home for the summer, so if it would at least cooperate and not start at all it would be easier to diagnose.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

My 2003 A4 1.8 with auto trans starts and immediately stalls. Sometimes it takes 5 or 6 tries before I can get going. Then it works fine for weeks. Recently had all filters including fuel filter changed. Still doing it. Dealer found no problem. Indie mechanic can find nothing to fix. Loosing confidence in my ride!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:30 AM
3rd Gear

Update. My indie pulled the codes and said the problem appeared related to the immobilizer. His guess was that the fob was not correctly talking to the car (?). We switched to our second fob about 3 weeks ago and have not had a recurrence of the immediate stalling. FWIW.

Quick Reply: 3.0 - immediate stalling on start up