B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

3.0 Reliability -- specifically, should I buy this car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Default 3.0 Reliability -- specifically, should I buy this car?

How reliable are the 2004 3.0's compared to the 1.8s and specifically, how do these cars get on after 100,000 miles? I have a chance to buy a well taken-care-of 2004 3.0 6MT that was owned by an Audi technician who claims the front end suspension and timing belt + pullies etc. were all replaced at 93,000 miles. I wish he had records but claims that since he was a mechanic at the dealership where the work was performed, there were no records.

Assuming what he says is true, help me understand what the estimated cost of ownership will be for this car and this mileage?

Would you pull the trigger for $9,500? The body and interior are nearly perfect. The car drives tight.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:59 PM
3rd Gear

They are pretty reliable, a head gasket/valve cover every now and then, mine has 91k and I had to do all that (T-belt, suspension) and it wasn't cheap. For 9500 is not bad at all, try to deal with him for cheaper, I paid 12 for mine a year ago.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

I just bought an '02 Quattro Auto for $8900 with 97k on the clock. Nice car and just had new battery and the full timing belt-waterpump-pulleys done. Can't comment on reliability just yet but the car is very nice to drive.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

How reliable are the 2004 3.0's compared to the 1.8s and specifically, how do these cars get on after 100,000 miles?

----My 2003 is great. I have done all the maintenance, or had it done. 3.0 engines are tight in the engine compartment, but seem to me to be good running, fuel efficient and reliable. I have the cvt, along with the 3.0 that Auditech79 hates. Auditech79 has my respect and trust, but thankfully I have not had any problems, he just hates them.

I have a chance to buy a well taken-care-of 2004 3.0 6MT that was owned by an Audi technician who claims the front end suspension and timing belt + pullies etc. were all replaced at 93,000 miles.

-----I have a hard time believing not a single reciept being he works at a dealer, because I am sure he would have used his employee discount.

I wish he had records but claims that since he was a mechanic at the dealership where the work was performed, there were no records.

-----I still have a hard time believing not a single reciept being he works at a dealer, because I am sure he would have used his employee discount for something.

Assuming what he says is true, help me understand what the estimated cost of ownership will be for this car and this mileage?

-----Well if it is true, why did he put that money for the timing belt and stuff into a car to get rid of it? Is it less than 100,000 miles right now? Have the fluids been changed? Tranny, Powersteering, air, fuel, cabin filters?

Would you pull the trigger for $9,500? The body and interior are nearly perfect.

------Check the card holder, cup holder, armrest, and glove compartment doors for proper operation. I dont know what the mileage, tires, paint look like. Atleast if you are willing to commit that money, carfax it.

The car drives tight.

----So does mine. I think it is the best car I have ever owned new or used, and I bought it at 93,000 miles. I have maintenance records, Audi printed them out for me, I just supplied the VIN#. They had done ALL the vehicle maintenance.

-----I love my Audi, I have read this forum and the other Audi one alot. I am not a racer, and I am not a tuner guy. I like my car just the way it is. You will not see alot of mods in my signature, because I have nothing to prove to anyone. If you are a tuner, hold out for a 1.8t, but if you trust this person, who may very well be telling the truth, and have confidence in the vehicle, go for it. By the way I am getting 29.8 mpg hwy at 80 mph. I was getting 31.9 mpg hwy at 80 mph before the 10% ethanol mandate. I get 23-25 in my normal everyday driving. I still love the look of the car after it is freshly hand washed and dried. Make your decision, and I hope you appreciate the information. If you buy it, which I feel you will, go to Audi's website and fill out what ever it was, or call the if you have to, to let them know you own the vehicle, so you can get notified in case of any recalls, like I just did for my ignition coils. I hope this helps, but I am just trying to sum up two years of research since I bought mine. I have no regrets. I bought mine at 93,000 miles, and had the major stuff done at 103,000, and am at 114,000 miles.

Last edited by gsimms; 04-24-2010 at 11:12 AM.