B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Which A4 To Get? Power modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Default Which A4 To Get? Power modifications?

Hello all,
I am interested in getting an 04 or 05 AWD Cabriolet so I can drive it year round, so I'm wondering which to get. I've read the S4 has a 0-60 time of around 5.4seconds and the A4 1.8T is around 7.5 seconds (and the fuel mileage is no comparison), so I'm wondering what can be done to bring the A4 closer. I know chipping them can bring the power range significantly closer. How much power be gained by chipping and bigger injectors, also how much can the transmission handle? (6speed manual or the 6speed auto) Would I be better off just getting the S4?

Thanks,
Jeff M.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Which A4 To Get? Power modifications?

If you can afford to get the S4 then why not? I wouldn't spend the money to "make" an A4 into an S4 if I could afford the S4 in the first place.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

^^^^ x2: The S4 is leaps and bounds better, and if you're trying to get the power, the A4 is really limited in the number of modifications you can do without spending a buttload of money. So really, I would pony up (if i could) and get the S4. With the bad economy you might be able to find a local guy trying to get rid of it, and used aren't too bad on the piggy bank!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:29 PM
2nd Gear

as long as you dont mind the 10-12MPG of the s4, thats what i would get.. it comes with better brakes, bigger engine, nicer interior/instrument, recaro seats.. all kinds of goodies.. to make a4 into an s4 killer. it doesnt take too much just:

suspension
clutch
FMIC
exhaust
brakes
apr stage 3+ or REVO/ATP BT kit

and lots of other tidbits.. ive spent about $5k i think and the last thing i need is a BT kit (big turbo) and my car will outhandle, out accelerate and outbrake a s4 but its still not worth what an 04s4 is.. but i do like the fact i still get 25-30mpg on the hwy and ive enjoyed the modding (but my wife and my bank account havent)

Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM
3rd Gear

^^^ What he said. S4 has much better seats though, but u can always get them for your a4 ))
And i beleive they dont make quattro cabriolets so u gotta choose in u need awd car.
And if u plan on modding the a4, u better get a manual.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

Mmmm s4 recaros, so comfy... only $2500 used[:@] i need to find a s4 and swap seats!!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:21 PM

I'm somewhat reluctant to get the S4 just because there is so little information out there for it, the poor fuel mileage, plus it looks like a royal pain to work on with the way the motor is tucked in there. I found a 2k4 S4 at the local dealer that they said was just serviced to a tune of $2400... which was mind boggling for only 67k miles! I currently drive a 2k1 Corvette Convertible (25mpg all around, 30+hwy, all with 400+hp), I do drive like a grandma... most of the time.[:@] I'm just looking to get down to one vehicle, one that I can drive year round but still have some fun with.

So the tip tranny is no good with a little extra juice pumping through it? It felt a world better than the 300CI that I drove, just a little slow to shift sometimes. How much can the factory 6 speed clutch hold in the A4?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:12 AM
3rd Gear

Which car did u testdrive, the s4 or a4???
Id say go ahead and tesst drive both cars and decide... If you are into modding cars, id say go with a4, you can make it faster than s4 for the difference between the cost of those 2. But still s4 is s4, a4 is a4. It all comes up to what u are looking for.
TIP is ok with chipped a4
TIP is ok with s4 + some mods... You actually cant get more than 40hp extra or so from the s4... Unless you wanna go with 15k+ supercharger.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:51 AM

The S4 is a very good car. They are as reliable as an A4 and if you don't hammer it all the time you can get about 22 - 23 mpg on the highway and about 17 around town.

The Tiptronic transmission on the S4 and the A4 is a very nice gearbox. I've had both and while I prefer the 6MT in the S4 (my 04' was a Tip car) the S4 with a Tip is very much like a German rendition of an American muscle car. Brutally fast and seamless shifting. The Tip paddles are fun to play with.

Either car is nice. The S4's only detractor IMO is the gas mileage. If you find a low-mileage CPO car with warranty left on it you can't go wrong. The only thing against any B6/B7 car is that the B8 body is coming out and our cars are going to take a big hit on resale with the advent of the new model. If you haven't bought one yet, maybe wait a few months or so. S4's are already hitting the mid $20k range for the sedans if they're 04' cars.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

i was going to sell mine for an s4 before i staRted modding.. but go to audizine and ask those guys in the s4 forum.. there are guys with screen names like 10mpgs4.. they said few if any get even 20mpg and that is only driving easy on the highway.. most will tell you they average 12-17 maybe... even a BT a4 will get 28-30mpg on the hwy

for the OP, the stock six speed tranny can hold the power but the clutch wont last too long... i smoked mine with a 1+ flash but i drive pretty hard and like to launch... i installed a southbend FE clutch disc with SS pressure plate (50lb) cost was around $600 and i installed it myself... (had to buy a tranny jack too ($100)

Quick Reply: Which A4 To Get? Power modifications?