B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

AUDI A4 2.0 Startup Chain Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM
1st Gear
Default AUDI A4 2.0 Startup Chain Rattle

Hi All,
I've AUDI A4 B6 (2004) which has done 88,000 KM.
HISTORY: In Oct 2010 I got a 90K Major Service on the car where new oil (Castrol SLXIII 5W30) was put in the car after engine flushing. Engine Breather Tube was also cracked therefore it was replaced as well, after few days of this service.
Now after all this got done on the car, I started hearing a rattle sound on Start up that last only about 1-2 seconds on cold start up. It also happens when I start the car after say 2-3 hours interval, but the rattle sound is much less than compare to what I hear in the morning. Then I went to Audi dealership and they diagnosed that the car need replacement of Cam Chain and Tensioner. I got that done as well but it didn't make any difference.
I took the car to a different mechanic this time, he did some test on the car and now he is saying that my car need replacement of CAMSHAFT HYDROLIC ADJUSTER, his diagnosis is based on the fact that this Cam Shaft is not holding up the oil. He also checked the Oil Pressure and said that Oil pressure is working ok though there is a slight lag but that cannot cause this issue (Note: Oil Pressure light in car never indicated that there is problem with Oil pressure). He also replaced the oil to 5W40 but it doesn’t make any difference too.
I am not sure whether this diagnosis is right, therefore I need assistance/advice from you guys to guide me to the right direction.

Below is the link where you can find the video of another car which makes the same sound as mine.

Audi B7 A4 2.0l Cold Engine Start Noise - YouTube

Thanks

Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Honestly, to me that sounds like an oil deprived turbo...mine made that sound but it was due to the oil pick-up tube, which was replaced along with the turbo. I had the oil pressure light though and you don't so maybe it just takes a second for your turbo to receive any oil. Not sure on this just throwing out some ideas

Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Here is the video of my own car

AUDI A4 B6 2.0 (2004) Start up Rattle Sound.MOV - YouTube

Any Idea?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Certified

Technical Service Bulletin Transaction No.: 2010294/5

Rattle/knocking noise from camshaft adjuster at engine start

Release date: Nov 21, 2008

Technical Background

The camshaft adjustment is hydraulically actuated and controlled by the engine oil pressure. If the engine has been turned off for a long time, the oil pressure drops down and the oil partially flows back into the oil sump.

To ensure an efficient camshaft adjustment right after an engine cold start, the oil pressure inside the camshaft adjusters must be built up as fast as possible. During this time, a rattle or knocking noise may be noticeable.

This noise is normal at engine start and will last until the oil pressure is fully built up, which takes about 1-2 seconds.

Production Solution

Not applicable.

Service

Do not replace the Camshaft Tensioner(s) or Camshaft Adjuster(s) for a noise concern as described above.

Replacing the Camshaft Tensioner(s) or Camshaft Adjuster(s) will not eliminate this noise.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Does this video confirms that this is because of Cam Adjuster?
Does that mean there is no solution to it?
I've been advised by one of the mechanic to check the Oil Pick Up screen, but I am not comfortable with it because of 2 reasons:
1- Car is not indicating anything wrong with Oil Pressure
2- To get that experiment done, will cost me $700

With this video, can anybody point out exactly what the problem is?

Will appreciate your reply.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

Hi Guys... Any Idea?

Looked at several threads but not able to find any solution to this problem.

Tried another test on the car, today morning I started the car with accelerator paddle pressed, rattle was still there but when RPM goes beyond 2000 the sound disappeared.

Does it give any clue on the issue?

Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

Audi tek just gave you a TSB for it. Completely normal. The 2.0 turbo engine is used in our VW cars as well and could post the same TSB.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your reply.
I've spoken with the mechanic on this TSB and he was saying that this TSB is not relevant to my car's engine because mine is 2.0 Litre with an Engine Code ALT.
I am not that technical so at this stage cannot provide much technical info on the car but if you look at the video again, the sound is different than what I heard in other posts. My apologies, I may be wrong here but for a lay man like me, the intensity of sound doesn't looks normal at least with the car like Audi's.

Is there any other potential solution to the problem you can think of?

Thanks for your time

Old 02-05-2012, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

What's your VIN?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

Quick Reply: AUDI A4 2.0 Startup Chain Rattle