B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 2002 Quattro, shifting gears problem!, HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 2002 Quattro, shifting gears problem!, HELP PLEASE

My audi a4 2002 doesnt drive in Drive mode anymore, when ever i shift to Drive mode, it only drives in 1st gear and the gears dont change at all,
Therefore, now i only drive in S mode. This happened since 2 months ago, Any solution please?
Please help

Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM
4th Gear

have u tried driving where u can shift it manually?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Certified

is your PRDNL on the DID all lit up red....?

Sounds like a no bueno transmission. But you may have more simple issue. You need to have the trans scanned

Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 PM

With the Tip shifter there is a circuit board and magnetic strip under the "chrome" cover that decides the gearing. We do see these fail more often then they should--better than a transmission but not the cheapest repair in the Audi world. Might check condition of circuit board (usually see burned connections) or the magnet shifts inside strip causing irregularly shifting. Hope this helps, Good luck.
Loree

Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

Sorry forgot to notify that my car is TipTronic and the manually shifting doesnt work anymore (it only stays in the 1st gear). Also when i shift the shiftknob to Drive (D), it drives in manually shifting (only 1st gear, gear doesnt change) doesnt drive automatic,
therefore now im only able to drive the car with the S mode aka sports mode =[

Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
have u tried driving where u can shift it manually?
Sorry forgot to notify that my car is TipTronic and the manually shifting doesnt work anymore (it only stays in the 1st gear). Also when i shift the shiftknob to Drive (D), it drives in manually shifting (only 1st gear, gear doesnt change) doesnt drive automatic,

Old 02-01-2011, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Loree-AudiUSAParts
With the Tip shifter there is a circuit board and magnetic strip under the "chrome" cover that decides the gearing. We do see these fail more often then they should--better than a transmission but not the cheapest repair in the Audi world. Might check condition of circuit board (usually see burned connections) or the magnet shifts inside strip causing irregularly shifting. Hope this helps, Good luck.
Loree

Thanks for the info

Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
is your PRDNL on the DID all lit up red....?

Sounds like a no bueno transmission. But you may have more simple issue. You need to have the trans scanned
Yes they all lite up in red and cant even drive automatic and manually but only in sports mode which i hate makes alotta turbo sound, and how do you get the trans scanned?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

How much is that circuit board piece and what is the part number b6 tiptronic

Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

I am having this problem as well. I have a 2002 A4 3.0 Quattro. It has recently rained here for 4 days straight. The car, while in Drive position the cluster panel shows 54321 with the 1 highlighted and wont shift at all. Putting it in Man mode with the same result. The only position it shifts is Sport mode. Does anyone have any thoughts on this.

Last edited by mason13; 07-13-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 2002 Quattro, shifting gears problem!, HELP PLEASE