B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

B6 window regulator DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

I just did both front windows for a friend's A4 using the regulator kit from www.genuinevwaudiparts.com for the driver side and one of the eBay cable and plastic parts kits from Istanbul for the passenger side. Both sides went well except for one problem. The carrier for the cable spool in the eBay kit appears to be made from a weaker plastic than the original, so when I tightened the three screws that attach the motor to the carrier, one of the screw bosses broke off. It still works, but it moves a little and makes some noise when you put the window up. The original cable and spool were messed up, but the blue plastic carrier seems salvageable, so when I get time, I'll exchange it for the broken one. The cables and plastic clips in the eBay kit seemed good, but time will tell. It was only $30 (including shipping), so other than having to swap the carrier for the original one (and assuming that it lasts), it might be a worthwhile savings over the full regulator. We'll see.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 PM

Lil Eddie,

I had a very similar problem with my A4 2002. Remote would lock all the door, except the driver door. 6 months later, the driver windows decided to stay in the middle. I had to open up the inside of the door, crack the windows up, and put the motor back in place.

I tried multiple things, different circuit board from a junk ward, different motor, nothing would work until I found the culprit. There is a wiring connector between the door and the frame, where a bunch of wires connect. I would bet that your problem is right there. When I open that up on my car, simply touching the cables would break them. So, I just cut that connector up and extended wires past it to inside the car. Everything worked after that, even the remote locking the driver door.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 AM
1st Gear

nice tutorial dude! i should try it later

Old 07-08-2011, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

Just did this, this morning, and it went exactly as it says it would! Just wanted to say thanks to the OP! Hey everyone, just replace the whole regulator, it's worth it!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 AM
1st Gear

I went ahead and change my driver window regulator about a week ago.Just today it went out again can anyone help and explain why that happen.FYI the replacement was new.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

Do I need these clips? Audi B6 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Search > Clip > ES#260058 Door Panel Clip - Priced Each - 8E0868243 What about these tools? Audi B6 A4 Quattro 1.8T > General Purpose > Tools > ES#2500877 Master Trim/Molding Tool Kit - 11 Pieces - PHR-11S I am thinking about ordering these tools/parts, but is it necessary??? I don't want to damage the door or break anything lol.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

When i did mine i used a flat screwdriver to open pop the doors. only thing is that i bought was a glue that i glue the pieces together. Since then i have had no problems with my regulator.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BesI
When i did mine i used a flat screwdriver to open pop the doors. only thing is that i bought was a glue that i glue the pieces together. Since then i have had no problems with my regulator.
lol glue? What if you have to take off the door panel again down the road?

Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Window and door problems A4 2002

I have the same problems with my driver side passenger window. The door won't open though, thus I can't get to the regulator to change it. How do I open the door now??? Pls help?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Found a youtube video that pretty much shows the whole process. You will have to watch through a couple of their videos to get to this regulator part.

Quick Reply: B6 window regulator DIY