B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Beating a Dead Horse. CVT TCM Issue. Advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Default Beating a Dead Horse. CVT TCM Issue. Advice needed!

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Style Definitions table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:"; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} Well I have done about 4 hours of google searching on this topic and I have come to the conclusion that I may just be in denial. But anyhow, here is my situation. Vehicle: 2003 Audi A4 1.8T CVT, 107,000 miles. Fault Codes: P1624, P0722, P0730 Symptoms: Car slips and jumps gears. ie. driving smooth at 60mph suddenly car appears to shift gears and the RPMs surge and then drop and the car lurches. Sometimes when it does this it goes into limp mode (PNRD,etc. flahses) This usually stops after I slow down and then gently accelerate again. It also does this when accelerating up hills and sometimes when car is first turned on. Actions: First I took my car to my neighborhood, independent Audi shop, they said they thought it was something with the TCM and to go to the dealership as they don’t mess with the CVTs. Went to my dealership and as I thought they downloaded the codes, told me the TCM needed to be replaced and quoted my $2,550 to replace it. I asked about the fluid possibly needing to be changed and they said it was a closed system and the fluid was not supposed to bechanged. My Question: Is there anything short of the TCM that could be causing this that I should try first before I drop $2,550 into it. Could it be the speed sensor? Can the TCM be reset? Could it be something simple like fluid? Any help or advice would be great. I did a lot of research and came across a ton of conflicting advice. Finally, in the meantime is it ok to drive the car, it does this intermittently and I need to get around, but I don’t want to do further damage to the car. Thanks a bunch! Dave

Old 06-20-2008, 08:48 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Beating a Dead Horse. CVT TCM Issue. Advice needed!

THis this or this might help you

Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 AM

I went through the same circumstances as you are going through. I own a 2003 CVT 1.8t and tried everything possible before finally coming to the conclusion that the TCM was bad. This is a common problem with our car; I think it's an atrocity that Audi hasn't sacked up and helped with these repairs. Apparently this is just another way for them to make money. Terrible.

I know that the part itself cost ~$1,300 from the dealer or an independent.The repair shouldn't take more than a few hours so the dealer is definitely marking up the price on you for the repair. They will tell you that they have to dismantle part of the exhaust to gain access to the TCM, but this process isnot that difficult andcan be done by anyone that has decent car knowledge.Anaudi tech explained the procedure to me and I avoidedthe extra repair costs thanks to him! So, if you're somewhat knowledgable with this process then you should go ahead and try it yourself. If not, an independent and dealer quoted me at ~$1700 for the repair.You'll needsome Transmission fluid too, which you'll have to order.

The TCM can't be reflashed. If it's bad, you gotta shell out the cash. My next piece of advice would be to find the transmission code which you can find in your owners manual or in the trunk where the spare tire is located. Should be a GGR, or FSE, etc. You can give an audi tech your VIN and they can tell you. From there you can try to locate a wholesale distributor of Audi parts. I tried this to no avail and obviously didn't have any luck.

I drove it around for about 2 -3 months with the flashing display, as mine was an intermittent problem. So, you can save up for this as your car will not break down. Basically, your car doesn't know what gear it is (The CVT has the 6 gears predetermined by the computer) so that would be the explain the slipping, limp mode. You lose torque and overall power when you're in limp mode, or atleast that was my experience. I can tell you this - it's nice to have my car back to normal! I hope this has been helpful, I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the info! I have never changed the transmission fluid as the deal told me that was not neccessary, I was going to have that done next week just to see if that made a difference. Is that worth doing or is that most likely not the cause? I drove my car the last 2 weeks ~300 miles, highway and stop and go city traffic with not even the slightest problem. Then today on my way to work it jerked and thenwent into limp mode and would only drive in R or 1st. gear. It is strange how intermittant it is. After letting it idle and sit for bit it was able to shift and drive normal again and then once I got it up over 50mph the gear indicator lights stopped flashing and everything seems to be back to normal again.

So I guess my question really is, does this sound like the problem you had and if so is it work having the fluid changed or should I just wait and drop the big $$s to have the TCM replaced and have the fluid changed then?

Thanks again!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:36 AM

im guessing the VSS is bad ( vehicle speed sensor ) fault code P0722 = no signal that would cause P0730 incorrect gear ratio and P1642 is stored fault codes on the SRS (air bags ) which needs clearing

Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 PM

I was wondering if it was possibly the speed sensor too because of the fault code, but it seems like everyone thinks it is the TCM. The speed sensor is also the ABS sensor, correct? Is this something that needs to be reseated or should it just be replaced. This problem coincidentaly started after I had new tires put on, is it possible the speed sensor was damaged during the installation of the new tires?

Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 PM

speed sensor in most cases are fitted to the driver side wheel ( ABS sensor ) so the ABS warning light should be on for the ABS, speed sensor could also be on the tranny as a seperate unit which would result in tranny fail, going even deeper the crank sensor being loose would cause the same issue ( timing ) being thrown out so the tranny dosnt know whats its doing so worth checking a few things

Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 PM

My car did all of the following:

PRND Flash
"Fell" out of gear on occassion.
Reverse wouldn't work, essentially it would feel as though I was in neutral.
Limp Mode

All of these problems were intermittent and we're fixable by simply placing the car in P and letting the transmission regain control of itself. Personally, I did as much research as I possibly could, and had the car taken to three different mechanics (2 dealers, 1 indy) and all three told me the same thing. If you are concerned that they are ripping you off, ask for the Service Bulletin that states they should replace the TCM due to the codes read.

The thing with the tranny fluid is that it's a hassle to get to b/chave to get into the gearbox to access the fluid itself (A tech can correct me on this if I'm not 100% correct). If they do replace the TCM, they will put some new fluid in there for you as part of the procedure.

I think if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck philosphy may apply best to this. Then again, it doesn't hurt to cover all your bases before hand; however, it sounds to me like that the TCM is the problem.

Hey, atleast you made it to 107,000 miles, mine has less than 50k! Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Hailjericho

My car did all of the following:

PRND Flash
"Fell" out of gear on occassion.
Reverse wouldn't work, essentially it would feel as though I was in neutral.
Limp Mode

All of these problems were intermittent and we're fixable by simply placing the car in P and letting the transmission regain control of itself. Personally, I did as much research as I possibly could, and had the car taken to three different mechanics (2 dealers, 1 indy) and all three told me the same thing. If you are concerned that they are ripping you off, ask for the Service Bulletin that states they should replace the TCM due to the codes read.

The thing with the tranny fluid is that it's a hassle to get to b/chave to get into the gearbox to access the fluid itself (A tech can correct me on this if I'm not 100% correct). If they do replace the TCM, they will put some new fluid in there for you as part of the procedure.

I think if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck philosphy may apply best to this. Then again, it doesn't hurt to cover all your bases before hand; however, it sounds to me like that the TCM is the problem.

Hey, atleast you made it to 107,000 miles, mine has less than 50k! Hope this helps.
start your on thread[:@]