Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Advice needed on NAV problem, strange headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Advice needed on NAV problem, strange headlight issue

My '07 A8 is acting up.

On a business trip yesterday my sat radio started acting up, it would turn off for a second and then come right back on. I thought it was interference but it kept going. Then I noticed a ticking sound.

I turned the radio off and heard a tick..tick....tick..tick sound which was coming from right behind the rear seat, under the rear speaker area. The navigation also wouldnt work, I would try and set it, and then it would reset back to where I started every time the ticking started.

I checked my navigation dvd, and it wouldnt eject the disk either. It seems stuck. And it seems to be resetting.

Can I try and reset it, or remove the disk and try and re-engage the system? Or am I done and need a new nav unit?

I tried removing fuses from next to the rear panel where this stuff is but it didnt work.

Is there a way to force the disk from the unit? Is the unit easy to remove?

Second issue:

A few days ago, I started having a problem with my headlights.

When the car starts, everything is fine, the 'day' lights work just fine. But when I turn the headlights on, the front right 'day' lamp (the normal looking bulb) turns off and the car gives me a headlight warning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by idfnl; 02-18-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Site Moderator

I believe if you hold down the eject button for 10+ seconds it will spit out the nav disc. However if its the satelite radio thats acting up and the navigation problem occured at the same time i would say there is a glitch with the MMI that needs to be reflashed. It could be as simple as a software update, take it to the dealer, its hard to diagnose without a factory scan tool.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
I believe if you hold down the eject button for 10+ seconds it will spit out the nav disc. However if its the satelite radio thats acting up and the navigation problem occured at the same time i would say there is a glitch with the MMI that needs to be reflashed. It could be as simple as a software update, take it to the dealer, its hard to diagnose without a factory scan tool.
Thanks for the note.

Its the system thats in a restart loop, from what I can tell. Holding down the eject button doesn't release the cd, it seems stuck.

Is there a "paper clip" option similar to the one used to force a cd tray on a car open?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Site Moderator

Look in your owners manual and find how to do the MMI re-set. You have to push down three buttons on the MMI panel and it shuts down and reboots itself. See what that does before trying to force something into a $1,000 module.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Look in your owners manual and find how to do the MMI re-set. You have to push down three buttons on the MMI panel and it shuts down and reboots itself. See what that does before trying to force something into a $1,000 module.
I did reset, no luck. A guy told me today that the factory default is to lock the nav unit so it wont eject the cd, and thats why it wont come out. Wondering if there is any truth to that?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Site Moderator

Thats possible, however if you unplug the power from the back of the unit then plug it back in it should jar it loose. If that doesn't work you will need a new unit.