B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Building Car PC

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Building Car PC

..and have a couple questions.

First and foremost, are you able to leave the symphony radio disconnected, or are other components dependent upon the radio? Where is the amp for the rears/sub? What is behind the knock-outs in the glove depart (top left compartment)?

I'm replacing the stock radio with either a 7" or 8" touchscreen, and using a double din bezel. I want to keep it OEM looking, and wondering if anyone knows where to get a factory nav bezel, or where to purchase some soft plastic spray or paint. I don't want to leave the bezel black, I want to match the soft plastic already in the center stack.

Edit: Forgot one major thing. I will need to connect a power supply to the yellow ignition wire, and battery. Do you see any problems with the alarm?

Thanks guys

Old 02-14-2008, 10:02 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Building Car PC

audis dont like aftermarket radios.. the dealer will be unable to scan your car

Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

Well, it's not an aftermarket radio. They need the symphony radio in place to scan the car?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

The key here is a solid connection to the ODB2 and a great wire harness. If you wire the unit correctly (yes soldering) it should toss a code one bit. The issue would be to have the unit connected for Vag-com and dyno reasons....Also Revo tuning too on the fly.

IMO Just get a cheap laptop and have it around.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

so, what am I connecting to ODB2? I'll be removing the symphony radio, and installing a touchscreen, there is nothing connecting to the factory wiring harness as all audio will be coming from car PC, to an amp (not factory amp) and then to the speakers. When they vag-com the car, I'm sure it will throw a code or 2 about the radio, but who cares, it's obviously not there. My question was if pulling the factory radio will cause other systems to stop working, or throw codes. If this is what you were getting at, than my apologies as I'm not completely up to speed on these cars.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM

heres my initial build thread...more pics are on page 2
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...light=carputer

Old 02-15-2008, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sonneboz

so, what am I connecting to ODB2? I'll be removing the symphony radio, and installing a touchscreen, there is nothing connecting to the factory wiring harness as all audio will be coming from car PC, to an amp (not factory amp) and then to the speakers. When they vag-com the car, I'm sure it will throw a code or 2 about the radio, but who cares, it's obviously not there. My question was if pulling the factory radio will cause other systems to stop working, or throw codes. If this is what you were getting at, than my apologies as I'm not completely up to speed on these cars.
Whats the point of putting a PC in the car if you can't adjust the fuel trim on the fly? If your not putting the PC for tuning reasons...then thats just a dumb idea and you should sell the car and buy a Honda.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Pson

Whats the point of putting a PC in the car if you can't adjust the fuel trim on the fly? If your not putting the PC for tuning reasons...then thats just a dumb idea and you should sell the car and buy a Honda.
Negative, have you seen a clean PC install? It looks factory, has NAV, touchscreen, internet, any program (vag-com), and has MUCH better sound processing capabilities. Maybe you should read prior to spouting off like a dipshit.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

Touchè Sorry bad day at work and shouldn't have been that negative. I didn't read the one post about it being for sound. I seen a few try to put Xboxes and all that crap in our cars I feel the car should be driven. Not toyed up.