B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Buying a B6, Stasis suspension, other newb ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Buying a B6, Stasis suspension, other newb ?'s

First off, I want to thank everyone in advance. This is my first post on these forums. I've had a lot of toys over the years, and have come to rely on forums like these for all the valuable information out there. With that said, I'm looking at buying a new toy, a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro. I've spent some time going through the forum already, and have found some great info, but still have a few questions...I'm hoping I can get some answers before I purchase the car. So here we go...

1. The car I'm looking at is an 04' 1.8T manual transmission car with 92k miles on it. I've read in the forums that there are a few things that need to be addressed right around this mileage, namely the timing belt. According to the current owner, the timing belt and coolant plug were both recently replaced. I'm hoping he has documentation to prove this, but if not, is there any good way to tell? Also, is there anything else I should check and make sure is in working order before I buy the car? I'd prefer not to have to dump a lot of money into the car right after I buy it...or I'd at least like to know about and address those problems before I purchase, and maybe have the price reduced to compensate for those costs.

2. The car is lowered. According to the owner, it is a Stasis suspension. I looked up Stasis' website, and only saw two suspensions for this model year. Both were pretty pricey coil-over systems, which might be a bonus for me. With that said, does anyone have experience with Stasis? Good stuff? Any help here would be appreciated...not sure how to tell what shape it's in. Also, any idea what it would take to go back to stock? I live in Michigan, and the car is pretty low. Our roads here are sh*t, so I'm a little concerned. Are there any known alignment issues, or any problems at all that you can think of?

3. I really could use any general advice or guidance. This will be the first Audi I've ever owned, so I'm not real sure what to look for or what to expect. Like I said, I've spent some time on the forums already, so I'm starting to get an idea, but I'm sure I've missed some things. If anyone wants to let me know of any red flags or issues, please speak up!

Again, thanks in advance for any help! I'm hoping that I can get some good information from you guys and make a good purchase!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

Also, what would you guys say is a fair price for this vehicle? It's a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T with a manual 6-speed transmission. It has about 92k miles on it. It has a Stasis suspension, but I don't believe it's the coil-over system. According to the owner the system included "dampers and stiffer springs that came pre-set for the A4," and he "believes the dampers are adjustable. " There are also aftermarket 18" wheels on the car, but I haven't been told what brand (they do look pretty good in the pictures though) or their condition. I do not know what condition or how much tread is on the tires, other than the fact I know they're not brand-new. The car has all the basic Audi stuff, but doesn't have the Bose audio system or cold weather package (no heated seats, and I really want those...I'll have to go aftermarket I guess). The owner says that he has already replaced the timing belt and coolant plug, I'll ask for receipts. The car is dolphin grey with tan leather interior. The owner claims the car is pristine, the only issue being a small dent in the driver's door. I have looked at about a half dozen of this exact same car over the last two weeks, and every one has been described as being super clean. Every one was pretty banged up to my disappointment. I understand that a ten year old car isn't going to be pefect, but most looked abused. Assuming that this car is really clean, it drives well, and all is as described, what do you think is a fair price? I blue booked it as a seller and the price came out to about $8100. He originally was asking $8500 and says he has come down to $8000. When I look at the other cars for sale, same set up and mileage (although all of them have been automatics), $7500 is the usual price. I'm really hoping to spend $7000, is that a lowball offer? I feel like I'd be taking on a little risk with the suspension, but it could also be a good thing. Anyhow, any and all input is welcomed! Thank you very much in advance!

Also guys, I'm not just a taker...I've got well over a decade of 12 volt experience, everything from car stereo to military wiring. I currently work for a fantastic navigation and OEM integration company (and yes, we do have a lot of Audi applications). I've also got a lot of fiberglass/metal/wood fabrication experience. If/when I purchase an Audi, I'll be spending plenty of time on this forum returning the information favor! Thanks again people!