B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Can i afford the repairs of an Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Default Can i afford the repairs of an Audi?

Well i am considering buying an Audi A4 but not sure if i can afford the repairs. I didnt know if u guys could give me some examples of your situations. I am looking at getting a 2003-2005 A4. After i get the loan from the bank i really wont have alot of money for a couple years to fix it if things breakdown. I mean r the price for parts and maintenance really that much more than a regular car (nonluxary)? Would i have to have most repairs done at a Audi dealership? Please help me out...

Last edited by rdot148; 07-01-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
3rd Gear

Well nobody knows whats gonna brake on your car ((
But i would say $500 a year should be more or less (if u take to an independent mechanic)

Old 07-02-2009, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

If you have to ask this question, you should not be buying an Audi or luxury/neary luxury car. Stick with something more reliable. Why take a chance and have it break down on you and you have no money for repairs? Get something afford and make sure you have a cash reserve for repairs.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:28 PM
2nd Gear

I have both a 2000 A6 2.7t with 96k miles on it, bought used a year and a half ago.
I also have a 2005 A4 3.0 leased new with 27k miles.
Probably because the A4 sat on a dealer lot for 7 months (in an attempt to be sold) I have had nothing but problems since I got it back. New battery, air filter, 1 coil pack, right side HID capsule, and now a coolant leak I am trying to fix.
I trust the good ole A6 a lot more as I had no problem with it whatsoever, just preventive maintenance (updated throttle body boot and both diverter valves) plus fluid and filters changes.
Wait...! I lied! I had to replace a drive shaft after a boot failed. Cost $120.00 plus a few hours of my time.
I just got back from Mexico, 550 miles each way in intense heat, 9 hour drive with stops, with the fully loaded A6. That includes a few miles on unpaved road due to road construction.
What a car!!!

I did the same trip in Jan 2008 in the A4 and I felt confident as well, being a nearly new car and all.

After driving the A6 I found myself driving the A4 less and less...
I love the turbo boost on the V6 engine.
I don't know what the boost is on the 1.8T.

Would I buy an A4 again? Most likely NOT!
Would I buy another A6? You betcha! Unfortunately they stopped the 2.7T in 2004

Maybe you should consider an older but well maintained car for less money and save a bit for the maintenance. Better yet do your own maintenance!

Be sure that whichever car you buy had the timing belt replaced if the mileage calls for it or you will have an unpleasant surprise...!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Default I appreciate the feedback

I am really reconsidering my choice to go w the A4 now. My money would only be tight for the 1st couple years then i will be getting a promotion and it wouldnt be so tight. Do you guys recommend any more resiable cars for me to buy? One that the repairs and parts wouldnt be so expensive...? I am looking at the Chrysler 300's now.. Thank everyone

Old 07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Default Insurance?

How is the insurance on the Audi's? Pretty expensive?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

insurance is NOT cheap. Depending on where you live you could spend easily 1000+ for full coverage.

Also, unless you are hurting for a car now, I would wait UNTIL AFTER you get your promotion to figure out your finances and what you can honestly afford. Build a nice cash reserve for emergencies and car repairs and planned maintenance. You don't want to be spending your entire paycheck (paying loans for the car, gas, repairs, maintenance) just to drive around in an Audi or any car for that matter.

If I had to do it all again, I would have bought a more reliable, but less fancy car. I would have saved thousands of dollars on stuff that I actually care about (vacations, saving for the future, home, electronics, etc). If you are a young buck, I can understand you wanting to get a nice ride to drive around in, show off to your friends, etc. But honestly, it gets old after awhile and the magic wears off. Yes I still love my car, but I nowhere care about her as much as I did when I bought it over 5 years ago. I just want something decent looking that gets me from point A to point B without breaking down a lot like Audi's do.

It's good that you are doing research, I suggest you check out Consumer Reports or other online opinions about the cars you are looking at getting.

my 2 cents

Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 AM

On my 03 A4 with the 1.8t engine, which I have left completely as it came when I purchased it. I have only spent money on oil changes and to replace the battery after 5 years. In the next couple of months I will be replacing the shocks. two of them are leaking.

I agree with the poster that said that 500 for your yearly budget for extra maintenance. If I average out all repair work and parts after the coil overs are installed. I will be at 500 per year average.

This has been the most car for the value that I have ever owned. The A4 is basically a Jetta. Audi/VW makes a great over built product. Thats why they run so well if taken care of.

Try owning a Range Rover. Now that is expensive.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Site Moderator

Like my daddy always told me, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.
But im an optimist, i like to tell myself, HOW can i afford it. If you can't afford it now, don't get yourself into it, wait until you can have one comfortably. There is nothing worse than having a beautiful audi in your garage that you can't afford to repair...