B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Can I handle an A4

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Can I handle an A4

I'm looking into getting an a4 1.8t with high mileage (~130miles). Its hard for me to judge if this car is reliable because there are so many different models available -- 3.0(auto, manual), 1.8t(auto, manual, cvt?, fwd, awd). I hear the models with cvt transmissions have major problems so people might just say the a4 is terrible. That doesn't help me. I'm looking for advise on a 1.8t automatic(not cvt) or manual with greater than 100 miles on it for a daily driver. I'm not affraid to do work on the car I just don't want it to be constant (every weekend). I have a 1991 bmw 325ic that I rebuilt 2 years ago. I've taken the engine out, rebuilt, and converted it from auto to stick for a nice weekend car. I consider myself knowledgeable to some extent but I know nothing about turbo cars. Should I get an a4?

Old 06-15-2015, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

Nothing? No one has anything to say... not even to make fun of my question.. really?

Old 06-15-2015, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Since you've owned a german car before you should be fine with an Audi as always german cars need to be maintained correctly and cant be disregarded like a honda. I've owned and am selling one a4 02 1.8t luxury. I personally like the 1.8t because you get the power when you need it, I've never had issues with the cvt. As long as the previous owner did oil changes, on time you should be fine as these cars are known to have issues with sludge build up which would be my biggest concern. And since youre a diy guy, then this car is perfect as if something was to arise you'd save a ton of money, and because theirs literally hundreds of diy guides for this car. ( try searching up a4mods )

Old 06-16-2015, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Imchriss.
I initially got concerned because I read about common problems with A4's. https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-...epairs-128740/ Some of the issues say that the dealer needs to diagnose and/or fix the issue which doesn't sit well with me. Aside from regular maintenance, the only issue I've had with my e30 bmw within the 2 years after rebuilding it was a bad fuel pump. I would consider this to be a pretty reliable car and is something I'm hoping for from an A4 B6.

Besides reliability but not really -- I am now confused about which a4 models came with cvt transmissions. Was it fwd only? I would like to stay away from them so I want to know what to look for.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

I see your concern but most of those issues listed are issues that can happen to any car, for example the power roof, power steering whine, peeling/rubbing of buttons, vibration issues, no start concern etc.
Just to name a few off the list, those issues can happen to any car, and it's more of a way to help new car owners diagnose an issue. The CVT transmission I'm not sure what wheel drive they were made for but when purchasing it should tell you, on my audi the only issues I've had for the 5 years I've owned it, has been a fuel filter, and flex pipe, and other small issues that come along with any car.

Also mine is AWD (quattro) and it has the cvt transmission

Old 06-17-2015, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

Oh wow, u have awd and cvt.. dang.. Yours is 1.8t as well?
I read something last night regarding the front suspension. Ever do any work there? Seems to be completely different, nothing I've ever seen before and the steering rack is mounted pretty high!

Old 06-18-2015, 08:56 PM

In my opinion the 1.8T is not bad, though it has it's problems.

If you are looking for reliability you may be better off with an older 2.8 A4, in my experience my old A4 2.8 was super reliable and had a very satisfying 3rd gear pull. edit: fuel consumption isn't much different between my A6 1.8TQ and my old A4 2.8Q. Insurance not much different either in the UK at least. Tax I'm not sure tbh they change it so often.

Mechanically they are no better or worse than other cars, depending on how you drive it but the 2.8 is known for being bulletproof, least it was back when I had one lol. That was my experience of it and many people online seemed to agree.

If you drive it hard, expect suspension arms/bushes to need sorting occasionally.

Watch out for the understeer to oversteer on the quattros, dunno if the 2wd variants are any better but my old A4 would understeer easily, just before the rear would let go. Once you plan for that it's managable, even fun

I wouldn't dare do that with the A6 I drive now.

The oil pan can be a problem on most audis, requiring more work than other cars but still a '2/3 spanner job' at worst.

Overall still better than a lot of marques I could mention and have owned in the past.

Last edited by VorsprungMonkeyTechnik; 06-18-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

Ok, cool. Thanks for the info guys!

Old 06-25-2015, 04:12 PM
3rd Gear

Everyone says stay away from cvt. IMHO, I would avoid the auto as well because it is more difficult to diagnose and expensive to fix than the MT5 or MT6. And not as much fun. While a 130k mile car can have a lot of life left in it, it will be dependent on how it was maintained and treated. Get service records - check every control and function/feature; test drive it 100 miles for CEL. I have been happy with my daughters 3.0 MT6. Purchased with 69k miles and now almost 130k. Did replace the cats under warranty, and have a permanent CEL from the clutch interlock sensor, but it drives and runs great and has been a solid car for 7+ years.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:56 AM
1st Gear

In 2002, I am sure the CVT was only offered with front wheel drive and I believe that was true of all b6 A4 models