B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Car shakes last 8 months, have made $4,000 in repairs, have yet to fix problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Default Car shakes last 8 months, have made $4,000 in repairs, have yet to fix problem

2003 Audi A4 1.8T
Automatic
112,000 miles

Hi guys... ive been reading these forums for some time trying to first figure out what is wrong with my car and then to fix it. I have spent an arm and a leg on repairs in the past 8 months and the initial problem is still there. When i start my car up it shakes side to side and feels like gurggling blob shakes between every few smaller shakes. These are all the codes that have been thrown out in the past 8 months in which i have fixed and it has not improved anything: coolant system, thermostat, all coolant sensors, all coil packs and plugs, water pump, radiator, all hoses for coolant and radiator system... after changing the coil packs a week ago it drove good for about a half a day until the shakes started again when i was idle or stopped at a red light. Also when i begin to stop the car it pulls up hard like it is dropping in gears quick,, and sometimes just when i am coasting to a stop it pulls back as well. When i am going in reverse it keeps wanting to pull up and almost come to a stop without my foot on the brake. Today it shot out some more codes for the brake boost and "turbo to boost (something or other)". I dont have money to keep throwin at this car... i have yet to fix the only original problem i ever had, which was the shakes... what do i do to fix it? any experiences here with this? Thank you very much for your help!

Old 05-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Default RE: Car shakes last 8 months, have made $4,000 in repairs, have yet to fix problem

And i have had all synthetic oil changes every 6,000 miles... and use premium gas

Old 05-16-2008, 07:15 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Car shakes last 8 months, have made $4,000 in repairs, have yet to fix problem

Bad motor mounts, stub mount or transmission mount are reported to cause serious vibration. They need to be aligned properly to prevent vibration. That's the first thing I thought of when I was reading your post, then came the codes. Could be vacuum problems.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 PM

I was thinking the mounts as well, but the shakes come and go every other time I start the car or every 3 or 4 times i stop at a light. I would think it would be a pretty steady shake if the mounts were bad. It definitely sounds like its coming deep in the engine somewhere. I will check the vacuum. Is it a good way to check the vacuum by putting the pressure steam through the lines and see if there is a leak??