Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership made problem worse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:59 PM
1st Gear
Angry Dealership made problem worse?

I would occasionally have the abs light and esp light come on when i start the car. When i would press the brake pedal and restart the car then 90% of the time it would go away. I thought it was the brake switch and took it to the dealership to have a new one installed. I get the car back and now the red brake light flashes and the abs light is on. Before that red brake light didnt come on and with the new switch now it does? They said it is the abs module that needs to be replaced. I know module masters can repair it which audi claims it cant. Did audi do something just to get my module screwed up so i could buy a new one? Or is it just by chance that a new brake switch showed the real problem?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Site Moderator

There is absolutely nothing the dealer can do to "sabotage" an ABS module, come on now man, the dealer charges a lot but they aren't con artists. I would say the tech wanted to make sure it wasn't the ABS module by replacing the brake light switch first which also break a lot. Module masters can repair the modules just fine, but the folks at the dealer hasn't heard of the them so they will just claim it can't be done. However, the red brake light has nothing to do with the ABS module, they may have broken the switch when installing it. That you can get repaired for free because they screwed that up.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

The reason i question their integrity is because the red brake light was not flashing before I brought it to them. After they installed the new brake switch it came on. They claim that it was on before I brought it in but that is untrue. So they basically called me a liar and said they didn't break the switch or cause any problem. Now I don't know what to do. I guess I will have to go to another technician and get proof that the switch is broken and then have module repaired?

Old 01-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Site Moderator

The switch can be diagnosed with the vag com easilly, but you would know have to do it. Most techs don't know how to check it. Basically go into the brake electronics, select data block 1 or 2 and you will see two values for the brake light swtich. When you slowly depress the brake pedal both values should go from 0 to 1. Or off to on etc.
Now these have to operate in cascading order, in other words the top one has to activate before the bottom one. If the bottom on activates first or if they activate at the same time the switch is broken. It sounds like your dealer doesn't have very good customer service. Tell them you want them to check the brake light switch with the VAS 5052 and if they say it can't be done go to another dealer that knows what they are doing.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 AM
1st Gear

I took it to a local shop and they said the brake switch is fine. They were able to communicate with the abs module, but after they put in the code and start the car the module wont hold the code and goes back to 0. Now one thing i forgot to mention is that audi replaced my turn signal stalk and before they installed it i had to hold the wheel to the left to keep the car straight(need alignment) but when they changed it now i don't have to do that. steering wheel straight and car is straight. The second person i took the car to said the steering yaw or axis is way off. it reads 860 when it should be zero. Could that be why all this is happening?