B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Car will not Start! Will not crank! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2007 S4. The not starting problem began as an intermittent thing then became more prominent and then problematic as it would not start no matter how many times I tried. The message center states press clutch to start but I'm not sure if it always states that no matter the clutch position. I did replace the clutch switch, and the other 2 switches located above the brake pedal. The part were approximately $30 each. After I replaced the switches it started flawlessly for about 2 weeks. I also had the cruise control back which had not operated for a long time. After the 2 weeks, nothing....no hope of starting. No sound from engine, solenoid...nothing. Everything else works normal..radio windows...

I brought it to one dealership that I don't particularly care for and they spent 4 hours with no diagnosis...

I had it towed to another and I am waiting...

Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Car will not Start!

As you can read in the thread there have been several different fixes discussed. In my case, I had an intermittent short in the starter itself. It took more than six months to settle on the starter after troubleshooting most everything else in the electrical system. Once the starter was replaced, the problem went away, never to be encountered again. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

The solenoid on the starter both engages the cog as well as giving the starter voltage.. Could be a faulty starter solenoid..

Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

You could get a multimeter and a gator clip and see if the starter is getting control voltage to the solenoid when you try and start.. That will cut your diagnostics in about half..

Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 AM
1st Gear
Default Exact symptoms, problem solved $650 later :-(

Exact symptoms (no crank, no start, humming around left side of dash when key held in start position) on a 2003 A4 B6. It may start randomly like 1 out of 10 tries, and it acts normal if it starts. Took it to indi Audi shop for 2 days. Final diagnostic is bad ignition switch (on the other end of the ignition key switch inside steering column), 2 bad 395 relays inside ECU box, and a bad 219 relay (think these are in the black ECU box). Almost 200 in parts and the rest labor.

Attached Thumbnails Car will not Start! Will not crank! HELP-imag0081.jpg   Car will not Start! Will not crank! HELP-imag0079.jpg  
Old 03-17-2016, 08:43 PM
1st Gear
Default 03 Audi A6 only cranks every 5th turn of key HELP!!

I'm new to this as well as a new Audi owner so please forgive any mistakes. I have a 2003 A6 Quattro. Great car except it will only crank over every 5th turn of the key. All lights go on but no cranking. Once it cranks over it starts right up, drives great. Shut it off and turn the key and it will start right back. Let it sit for a hour and back to the same no crank. Took it to a Auto Electric shop to get it checked out. They can't figure it out. Said they don't believe a starter as no clicking just quiet and no cranking. All keyless buttons work on the remote. Anyone have any ideas? I need help, please.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

Have you tried another key. There is a chance it's the key immobilzer.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:16 AM
1st Gear

No I haven't. It only came with the one key. Would that be a dealer thing?
Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

Those are special keys so I think you are stuck with going to the dealer; and those keys are expensive. Just to be sure it's the immobilizer, take note of whether the yellow key shaped light on the dash is flashing or remains on when you try to start the car. Also, consult the owner's manual under the topic 'immobilizer'. Another thing to check is the battery condition in your key fob. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. I replaced the battery in the fob already. All of the other buttons on it work good. I'll look into the yellow key shaped light and see what I have.
Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Car will not Start! Will not crank! HELP