B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Car will not Start! Will not crank! HELP

Old 03-19-2016, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

Well I checked the dash lights and there is no key shaped light. I can't find any symbol like that in the manual so maybe this year and model doesn't have that. Did notice after turning key 5 times and starting, I shut it off and it will start 1st turn then. Even removed key from ignition and started right back. Took the key out for 3 minutes and tried again. Right back to needing 5 turns to crank.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:15 AM
1st Gear
Default 2000 audi a4 1.8t q

Car died on me when I was driving, stopped and turned on the car, it idled kinda Shitty, pressed on the gas in 1st and it died again. Came back later and it didn't even start, checked the maf sensor and it looks like it fell into the turbo and the turbo ate it. Can that happen because my maf sensor is no where to be found

Old 09-10-2017, 09:00 PM
1st Gear
Default 2008 Audi TT know Frank situation resolved

Originally Posted by Halfpint2209
Hi. This is my first time posting on audi forums. Normally i get my answers by reading other peoples stuff. But not this time.
I am in a bind. I have a 2002 Audi A4 Q 1.8T. I drove it the other day then parked it for about an hour. When i went to go to the store, the car would not start. It would not crank or nothing. I thought the battery was dead so I tried jumping the car. All lights are on the dash, headlights come on. Strange! So the next morning i go in the car and turn the key and the damn thing starts. Well i drive it around all day doing my errands, hoping it was just something that fixed itself. Until i got to chase bank. It would not start again.. You turn the key and nothing. All lights come on but the car will not crank. So i called the tow truck. Some hours later the tow truck driver comes and asks for the keys and the damn car starts again.
Ok, now i am mad. I take the battery out and bring it to autozone and they test it. The battery is good. I checked the ground to the battery and the ground that i think goes to the frame and they appear ok. I took the damn starter out and autozone tested it 3 times and it passed with flying colors. My friend said it could be the starter relay, but when i look online i dont think this year has one. I bought a ignition switch, but dont want to take the stearing apart unless i really have to. Please someone help me! Oh and now, a few days later the car will not start at all. Maybe the neutral safety switch? Still you turn the key and all lights come on but the damn thing wont crank. I here a click near the shifter i think and a click near the turbo and i hear the fuel pump ingaging when i turn the key. But thats it. PLEASE HELP ME. I DONT WANT TO BRING IT TO MY LOCAL STEALER....!
May 2008 Audi TT would not crank I took the starter out took it to AutoZone it past put it back in and then I hooked up the laptop to the car and started running tests on it and while it was running the test I ytrying the starter and it turned over and started up fine!

Last edited by PhantomTT; 09-10-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Not complete
Old 04-22-2019, 08:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Similar Problem

I have a 2001 TT 1.8 It also has intermittent starting problems In my case it’s a delayed start. My friend and I have been working on the car for a couple days. He figured out that if he holds the key in the start position for an extended period of time and then Kranks it he can get it started consistently and after starting that way for a while it will just start on the first try. We’re uncertain whether were looking at a starter problem solenoid problem or a bad relay. One theory was the immobilizer but I’m not getting the immobilizer light on the dash. Does anybody have any experience with this kind of problem? I’m ready to start with the ground wire, go to the clutch switch, look at the relays, and then pull the starter. Any suggestions or similar stories would be helpful.