B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Dipped headlight message -- is it the bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Dipped headlight message -- is it the bulb?

So I've been getting the right dipped headlight for a while now. Nearly every trip I make in the car I see it at least a couple times.

Last night I swapped the two low beam bulbs so I can determine if it is part of the leveling electronics or the bulb.

I couldn't see any physical difference in the bulbs between the right and left in regards to one being more 'burned out' than the other, but this morning I did get a LEFT dipped headlight once on the way to work.

They are the D1S HID bulbs at $90/each or I did see them on ECS for $150/pair. Is there a better place to get these?

Is this typical action for a bulb that is about to go? I noticed the braided wire cover in the low beam casing and on one side it was wiretied to the spring clip while the other was not. Is there any concern with this 'wire' touching any of the components in the casing?

Finally, my Chilton manual warns about high voltage for the HID bulbs and assembly even after turning off the vehicle and disconnecting the battery. Of course I read that after digging in. What do I need to lookout for when working on the HID bulbs?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:00 PM
4th Gear

i had replaced my d1s through sonictuning. Stock bulb temp is 4500k. Any higher u get into the blues.
Audi BMW Mercedes Subaru Wheels LED Lights HID Conversion Kits B6 B7 A3 A4 OEM Xenon HID Replacement Bulbs (Pair)

Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 AM
1st Gear

check out bulbs on amazon.com they are the best price i have found. they have the oe temp bulb or if you dont mind a very light blueish tint to the light the 6000K temp bulbs are cheaper you could get the pair for under $50 but they arent quite as bright as the 4000K. and you wouldnt see anything wrong with the bulb what is failing is the box thats attached to the bulb (the windings are failing), the its basicly like a step up power transformer it steps up the voltage to around 21 volts if i remember correctly, so it could give you a good shock so make sure the lights are set to off when your messing with them.

Last edited by mikeresnik; 05-03-2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

appreciate it guys! Looks like I'll get a pair and save the one not giving me "dipped" warnings as a spare incase one dies in the future.

Do they really change colors with age? I saw a couple comments about getting them in pairs to keep the color equal.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:11 PM
4th Gear

they will fade over time. Always best to get all the bulbs around the same time and from the same company or you risk colors to be off.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Ok, newbish question, I just got this warning message this AM (first time ever). Assuming this is a bulb problem, how do you know what type of lights you have? My spec worksheet for my 2005 A4 3.0 Quattro shows that the "Bi-Xenon headlights with automatic self leveling" were optional not standard for all 2005 makes and models. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:57 PM
4th Gear

well do your lights self level when you turn on the car? Are your highbeams also hid and not halogeon? That would be the easiest way to know if u have the hids.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

I think they do level - basically I need to turn them on in my dark garage and see if ther remaining (right one) levels up or down when I turn it on?

Additionally, if I take out the bulb and it has a black tip, it's halogen vs the longer, clear LID, right?

And then I can just switch the right with the left to see if the message changes or the right stops working and the left works to see if it's the bulb vs the ballast?

Looking at the sonic tuning replacement HID bulbs you linked above, which temperature do you choose?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM
4th Gear

i went with 6000k. the light output it good while still giving off that blue tint. now was are saying when u say this. .

(Additionally, if I take out the bulb and it has a black tip, it's halogen vs the longer, clear LID, right? )

Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

I thought halogen bulbs had the black covering (paint) at the tip, but that might just be the high beams?

I tried to get into the light casing to take out the bulb tonight but I could not find the two (?) torx screws inside, only the two at the top. I found one inside that could be it but my torx driver was not long enough to reach it; maybe I can buy a longer torx wrench to reach it but I could not find the other anyway (which I realize you are only supposed to loosen and not remove).

I tried to find them by looking at these but perhaps my b6 a4 3.0 setup is different.

Lustload.com » Blog Archive » Audi S4 Headlight O-Ring Upgrade | The Banterings of a Citizen of Earth

:: a4mods.com :: - The Premiere Audi A4 Modification Guide and Pictures Library

I may have to just take the car to the dealer which will be costly.

Quick Reply: Dipped headlight message -- is it the bulb?