B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Door lock problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

I would like to know how you did it. My 09 Q5 has the same problem as well as both passenger doors won't lock at all!
Thanks, Bill

Originally Posted by KiwiA3
I just finished investigating and repairing my drivers-side front door lock actuator on my 2006 A3. I could use the key fob to lock the vehicle, but when unlocking the vehicle the drivers door would remain locked (everything else unlocked). I removed the door lock actuator, pulled it apart and found that one of the two small 12V motors had begun to burn out. You could actually see a blackened area at the rear of the motor where the brushes are located. Since replacing the motor the lock cycles perfectly.
Pulling the lock actuator takes time, but if you are methodical it's not difficult. I used a Mabuchi FC-280PC-22125 Door Lock Motor/Actuator, it cost me US$5.99 from ebay. Happy to provide instructions on how i did it if anyone is interested.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Billsaudi
I would like to know how you did it. My 09 Q5 has the same problem as well as both passenger doors won't lock at all!
Thanks, Bill
Hi Bill - happy to help. I'm shifting house right now so all my comms are thru my mobile phone! I'll have my residential internet connection completed on the weekend, then I'll be able to go into more detail with pics about what I did. Cheers, Angus.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Hi, I have a similar problem. I have a 2010 Q5, and the passenger door will not unlock with either the key fob or the lock/unlock switches on the interior doors. It only opens using the inside passenger handle once locked.

My Audi dealer wanted $500 to fix. Please send any info to help me fix it myself. Thank you so much, Dave

Old 06-16-2016, 11:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Step by step disassembly of A3 lock actuator

Hi - Hopefully I've attached a PDF to this message so anyone can see what I did to replace the A3 door lock actuator motors.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A3 front door actuator.pdf (1.04 MB, 37415 views)
Old 07-06-2016, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

Hi - Hopefully I've attached a PDF to this message so anyone can see what I did to replace the A3 door lock actuator motors.
Where were you able to find just the motors that drive the mechanism? I've only been able to find the entire actuator assembly.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

You rock!
Wish everyone that figures out a solution would put in the effort you did to post it for others. The pdf is perfect.
I suspected a similar cause ( electric motor or micro switch disfunctioning)
when the rear left door would not open from outside on my A6 2007.

It was pretty simple to get the lock out and on the bench and to figure out one of the shafts doesn't turn back. Your instructions helped me take the mechanism apart. One motor was black at the exits, I soaked it with wd40, blew it with compressed air and it all works for the moment. Of course I will order a new motor imidiately and replace it when symptoms return.

Thanx again

Old 08-07-2016, 08:03 AM
1st Gear

Hi ,

I'm from Australia . I have fixed this same issue in my Q5 by following your instructions. YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND !!!

Audi wanted $435 for the actuator and $280(one man hour) to fix it. Issue is on 2 of the doors, so x 2 of $435+$280. You saved me a lot of $$$.

One tricky part was puling the actuator out of the lock mechanism. The plastics shaft would not come out. After applying a lot of force they came but i noticed the tip it partially broken. Also couldnt put them in. I broke the tips off on both. Then it went in. I felt the actuator housing was holding them in . For the next door im thinking of loosening the actuator housing screws before pulling apart.

Thanks again KiwiA3 for taking time to make this info available .

for peeps in Australia - go to Total Tools to get the Spine bit(triple square) you need(size M8 for my Q5) to get the lock out of the door. Bunnings and Supercheap auto didnt have them in store.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Default Instructions for door lock motor replacement

Hi Kiwi, Yes I would like to see your instructions. I have experienced all four door lock module failures. Two I replaced with new modules and the others I am living with until I can find a way to repair or find a used one. You can reply to bill.swihart@***.net

Old 01-17-2017, 10:51 AM

OK, the pdf showed up. First review looks great, will give it a go.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:52 AM

I have a 2009 A4 Avant. I had the old front drivers side module (knew I would use it one day) and took it apart based on your write up. It is a little different but more on that later. I was able to take apart and reassemble without replacing any parts and think that it is correct although I can't test it without taking out the new module and connecting to the vehicle wiring. Does anyone know how to bench test these? The motors I saw on ebay per our spec " Mabuchi FC-280PC-22125" do not appear to have the pinion gear. Did you remove from the old motor? Assume this is a press fit? These also are listed for various other manufacturers other than Audi.

Thanks

Last edited by bill.swihart@cox.net; 01-17-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Door lock problem...