B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

EPC light came on and can't start the engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Default EPC light came on and can't start the engine

The EPC light came on while I was parked in a parking lot. My A4 1.8T just stalled while in idle. I tried to start the engine but it wouldn't start. You'll hear the engine try to start but it won't. I waited for a minute and tried again. It started fine. The next day I went to run errands. When I returned to my car from the store, again I couldn't start the engine. Again I waited for another minute and it started fine.

I've search the forum and the Internet but I couldn't find any posting that's similar to my EPC problem. Does any one have any idea what's going on? Any help would be appreciative.

Thanks,

Old 04-11-2008, 01:07 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: EPC light came on and can't start the engine

here's an update: I drove all week without any problem, until today. Sitting at the red light my car just died with the battery light on. After a couple of tries the car finally started but as I turned the corner both the EPC and the CHECK engine light came on. The idle went from 900 to 1200. I made it to an Auto Zone to borrow an OBD. I got the following codes: P0322 and P0321. The guy helping said it the codes mean: "The PCM has determined that there us no voltage signal from the engine speed input. (Crankshaft position senor, distributor tachometer signal etc.)" Has any one experienced this and know which one is the issue? Many thanks.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Hi All,

Here's an update. I ended up going to the stealership to get this fixed. The EPC light was due to the crankshaft position sensor (codes P0321 and P0322). However the CEL was due to some coolant / radiator sensor. This took them several hours to fix. I took it in Saturday morning and just got a call today (Monday) that it's fixed and ready so I was carless for the weekend. I don't know where this coolant / radiator sensor issue came from and why the OBDII didn't get it but I ordered the VAG-COM and the Bentley CD from Ross-Tech so hopefully that would give me a better diagnostic for next time. I'm starting to loose patient with my A4 too. Hopefully nothing else goes wrong.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM

my car is having the sxact same issue, except im pulling codes p0411 and p0322

i guess p0411 says secondary air injections system incorrect? any ideas?

also getting engine speed input no signal. How hard is it to change the crank positions sensor on the 1.8t any ideas???

thank you

Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM
SrK
1st Gear

I just had this exact simptoms. I scanned it and it was the crank speed sensor. I replaced it myself. part is $60 replacing is 2 hour job. If I had to do it again, it would be a 45min job, I hope you didn't pay too much to the stealership.

To change the sensor you don't have to even get under the car (but if you do it will be easier) there is the water reservoar on the right topside in the engine comp. that the bolt that holds it out and lift the reservouar away to the right (there is a sensor under it to be removed) lower a mirror near your oil filter and you will see the crank sensor near to the right of the oil filter hold in place with one screw. Unscrew it follow the wire to the firewall and unplug it replace it. put everything back and enjoy your $60 repair.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 PM

thanks good info!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Link to instructions...

Here's a link to instructions on how to replace your engine speed sensor....

http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...tml&category=5

Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear

feel sorry for the guy who said its a 2 hour job. this can be done from the top just move the coolant res and angle a mirror down there. 20 mins at most.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 AM
3rd Gear

This thread is 2 years old...

Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

I posted the link for others who were searching for solutions to their EPC light problem. It wasn't a solution for the original poster :-)

Quick Reply: EPC light came on and can't start the engine