B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

EPC light/Check Engine-Audi not finding issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Unhappy EPC light/Check Engine-Audi not finding issue

I have 2003 A4. Couple weeks back the EPC light and check engine light came on. Shortly after noticed some things happening-once or twice rpms dropped to zero then immediately backup. Then car would just die at a stoplight-would turn over right away. Warning lights would come on intermittently.

Took into Audi service. Put on the computer and it said it was a random error of the speed sensor. Since random, Audi suggested to just clear the error and drive as is. Problem is the dropping in the rpms, the random stalling and now recently after having it in at the dealer, unable to start it at all!!! Finally could after 15 minutes.

I have this feeling it's going to be like they don't know what to do and I don't want to keep plugging money into "maybes" and not getting issue fixed

Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 PM

the epc light is just a way to tell you that there is a problem with the drive by wire system. from my experience the most common fail point in this system is the ecu. it could possibly be the throttle body or accelerator pedal as well. you need to get a good mechanic to actually do circuit testing to pinpoint what is wrong. the easiest way to diagnose is unfortunately the most expensive. you will have to start part exchanging. which is often what the dealerships prefer for diagnosis.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the input. From what I gathered yesterday from them it sounded like they were doing more intensive testing which they said is a timely process. So perhaps it's what you speak of. I know this is going to be pricey which really sucks but nothing else I can do.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

Fuel Pump Relay. I had the same problem. Car doesn't start or starts intermittently. Just shuts off while you are driving. I would be willing to bet money on it. Does the car act weird any other way?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:30 AM

i had the exact same issue and as it turns out that speeed sensor is taknig a sh..t replace it or you will end up stranded. its only 68 dollars at the stealership

Old 02-12-2010, 05:39 PM

I have this light on and the car so far hasnt done any of the symptoms as the people with the same EPC light issue have had. I talked to my mech (via the dealer from where i bought the car) and they hooked up a Snapon code reader to the car. The guys said he couldnt pull any codes off the car. I later get a call back and then they tell me...am i a 'two foot driver' i said what is that. Response...when you break with the gas together. I said no. Then was told that was how it could come on. I just let the person talk because i know that they didnt know much about Audi's and the only way to get the code out was to take it to a dealer to reset. End of conversation. I am now weary on the quality of work that comes out of that shop in regards to dealing with Audi's.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by blackops
I have this light on and the car so far hasnt done any of the symptoms as the people with the same EPC light issue have had. I talked to my mech (via the dealer from where i bought the car) and they hooked up a Snapon code reader to the car. The guys said he couldnt pull any codes off the car. I later get a call back and then they tell me...am i a 'two foot driver' i said what is that. Response...when you break with the gas together. I said no. Then was told that was how it could come on. I just let the person talk because i know that they didnt know much about Audi's and the only way to get the code out was to take it to a dealer to reset. End of conversation. I am now weary on the quality of work that comes out of that shop in regards to dealing with Audi's.

That's kind of a bad way to describe a "two footed driver"
A two footed driver would be more described as, some one who breaks with there left foot, and gases with their right. As opposed to doing it all with your right foot. A lot of people who are "two footed" tend to gas before they are completely off the break pedal.
I'm not saying that is what you are. I am merely describing it a little more.

As for blackops issue.
I had the code at hand come up one time. I fortunately did not have any issues. However while talking with my audi mechanic, who I trust 100%. Has gotten me out of many tough situations.
He said what rayveedub said. Being the throttle body. Could also be maf sensor.
You could try unplugging your maf sensor and see if there is any change.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by MULEPERFORMANCE
I'm not saying that is what you are. I am merely describing it a little more.

As for blackops issue.
I had the code at hand come up one time. I fortunately did not have any issues. However while talking with my audi mechanic, who I trust 100%. Has gotten me out of many tough situations.
He said what rayveedub said. Being the throttle body. Could also be maf sensor.
You could try unplugging your maf sensor and see if there is any change.
Understandable. I am getting it to an Audi Dealer on Wed morning to figure it out. Thanks for the informative responses.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Default EPC - Car stalls

I have the same issue on my 2004 A4 (3.0 CVT - 97K miles)
The TCM was changed at 60K miles, so I'm positive it's not the issue. The car stalls (usually during cold temperatures), starts choking, with the RPM dropping to zero, and the engine stuttering. Stops at red light. If it stops more than 3 times, the check engine light comes on.
If I hit the highway at decent speeds, and drive for about 20 mins, the EPC indicator goes away, and the car functions fine. The Check engine light goes away after 3-4 days of normal commute.

I took it to the dealership, and the first thing they did was replace the ECU. Did not work. They then spent some time scratching their heads, and came back to me and told me that the ECU wiring had melted and was shorting, which was a $2700 fix. I did not go for it - still driving the car and encounter the issue about once a month.

I read something about the fly-by-wire issues. Any take from Audi experts?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine Speed Sensor and Crank position sensor are the same thing

I had this same problem with my 2001 1.8t avant. I would be sitting at a stop light and suddenly my car would just stall. It usually started right up, but a few times it would need several minutes to start up again which made it very dangerous to drive on busy roads. The check engine and EPC light would sometimes be on when i started the car and sometimes not, or turn on while driving.

I REPLACED MY CRANK POSITION SENSOR AND THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED. I have not had a stall or warning lights occur since i replaced the sensor several months ago. The guy at the parts store tried to tell me my problem was not the sensor, he claimed that he drove audi's all the time and that the sensor was never the problem. He was clearly wrong.

Also, I've seen a lot of people asking if the engine speed sensor and crank position sensor are the same thing and the answer to that is YES.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: EPC light/Check Engine-Audi not finding issue