B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

EPC light/Check Engine-Audi not finding issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:38 PM
2nd Gear

True, easy to diagnose, and easy to fix. The part is called Engine Speed Sensor.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi_Wagon_420
I had this same problem with my 2001 1.8t avant. I would be sitting at a stop light and suddenly my car would just stall. It usually started right up, but a few times it would need several minutes to start up again which made it very dangerous to drive on busy roads. The check engine and EPC light would sometimes be on when i started the car and sometimes not, or turn on while driving.

I REPLACED MY CRANK POSITION SENSOR AND THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED. I have not had a stall or warning lights occur since i replaced the sensor several months ago. The guy at the parts store tried to tell me my problem was not the sensor, he claimed that he drove audi's all the time and that the sensor was never the problem. He was clearly wrong.

Also, I've seen a lot of people asking if the engine speed sensor and crank position sensor are the same thing and the answer to that is YES.

Hope this helps.
so how much did it cost, or how much should it cost?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Epc/engine man light

So I have taken many hours reading over forums and sites trying to find out if someone out there may have any advice on the problems I have with my A2 51 plate. So this car has been in and out of the mechanics more than you can imagine and money after money keeps getting spent on it. So these problems have been ongoing since 2010 but getting worse and worse since but much more so recently. To start off with, it was just the engine management light that would come on every now and the. Upon taking it to a mechanics, they changed the map sensor and did the ECU reading and reset. Since then, I have had the map sensor changed 3 times but the engine management light and EPC light have never gone off. Every time I take it to the garage and get it coded, they come back with map sensor.
I will describe the problems on a normal town journey:
When driving the light (engine manage) is always on.
During my journey the car will give a slight cough (as if wanting to stall) this is normally always followed with the EPC light.
So now I have both lights on the dash.
Normally 2-3 times in my journey, be it driving or stationary, the car will cut out, no warning, no feeling of stalling, just will show battery light on dash. I can always start the car again with a simple key turn off and on.
On a couple of occasions the car has over rev'd when driving, sometimes up to 5 even with foot hardly touching throttle.

I have just spent £700 on service, new timing belt, new oil filter, air filter, water pump, thinking this may help but the problem is no different at all.

Someone somewhere must have some idea what is wrong with this poorly car cause it seems that all the people I have asked over time have no clue and happily take £30 to code it but always come back with the same unfixable problem.

I'm sick of wasting money and just want a heads up on where I may need to start.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

I was chilling at 60 n my ecp ligth came car want to trun over but it not what could it be

Old 07-30-2013, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

My 2001 A4 1.8 T gets to the problem behavior pretty early on after starting out on a drive. Two lights come on simultaneously and the power cuts out as though the fuel pump is not getting electricity. The car does not shut off but just coasts. As soon as that light goes off (within 2 or 3 seconds) I can get power again at the gas pedal. Eventually the both lights come on and stay on for the remainder of the drive and the car operates normally. From what I've been reading on this sight, I am most inclined to think this is some sort of fuel pump relay.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:16 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 2003 2.0L Multitronic Maroon Saloon

Car just cuts out !, no power steering, battery light and EPC come on, have had to act fast to avoid accidents!!, I have read a lot of posts on lot's of forums, i have bought a CRANKSHAFT SPEED SENSOR for £9.99 new off of ebay, i am also going to change to IGNITION SWITCH as this is known to go bad too :-), the worst part of bpth jobs seems to be getting that daft undertray off from under the engine. happy motoring peeps ...... and buy the best tools you can, never go for second best :-)

Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 AM
1st Gear

I'm having a similar issue my check engine light came on shortly after that my ESP light would come on randomly now when my car idles it makes a loud rattling noise its idling at about 800-900 rpm but if I rev my engine a little as soon as it hits 1000 rpm like magic the noise stops the same thing happens if I'm driving I hear the loud noise from 2800-2900 rpm but as soon as it hits 3000 BAM! the noise is gone also when this started the car would randomly stall out and I would have to throw it in gear and drop the clutch like I'm push starting the car once back on the EPC light comes on and I cant go over 4000 rpm but the noise goes away and idle speed is now at 1100-1200 rpm ( side note if I'm at a stop light and the car stalls out like this the car takes some time to start back up again)

Would replacing the engine speed sensor fix this?

Also my car is an 2002 Audi A4 1.8T manual FWD

Last edited by elywinn; 02-26-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: adding my car
Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy 2002 A6 Avant EPC code & engine starting problems???

So, lately I've had an issue with my car turning over...and the engine starting quickly. Sometimes, when I turn the key, the engine struggles to come on, and when it does, the EPC code shows up. On one occasion, I didn't notice the code until the car was dragging and slowed down. Turned it off immediately, and then restarted it with no problem. So, now when I have the EPC code show up after that slow engine start, I turn it off, and try again --- usually starts with no problem. But clearly, something is wrong. We thought it was the alternator which the mechanic replaced...and that was wrong. Can anyone tell me what the potential issue is? I've got a pretty good mechanic and it would be good to have some info to share...rather than paying the Audi dealer some ridiculous amount to tell me what wrong and how it will cost a bundle.
thx

Old 06-16-2015, 07:30 PM
1st Gear
Default TT 2003 Automatic

Hello all! The check engine light came on my car but there're no other symptoms, the only thing I could complain about is that perhaps the oil consumption is a little higher than I expected. This is the first time I use my car and it recently had the TCM -transmission module- changed.

Any ideas?

Sometimes the ESP light comes on randomly too.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 AM
1st Gear
Default no throttle response

Hello everyone, I have a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T. I took my vehicle to the repair shop to replace a fan control module then to be told sometime after the car's not moving. The car starts but you get absolutely no throttle response. My question is can the throttle be manually disabled? I'm of the belief the mechanic may be trying to get one up on me. I'd really appreciate some thoughts, ideas, or better yet similar experiences please

Quick Reply: EPC light/Check Engine-Audi not finding issue