B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

is it even worth going to a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 AM
1st Gear
Default is it even worth going to a dealer

I have had two mechanics look at my car one euro car expert and say the tranny will go soon, but they can't get in it because i guess only audi dealers got the special softwear or tools. its 03/a4 with cvt. its like 300 dollars at dealer to check. is it even worth it? or should i just go use it as a trade it before it starts being really bad, it runs fine now.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
4th Gear

so it runs fine now and u want to get it checked for what reason? honestly cvt transmissions are hit or miss. I have a cvt with 150,000 miles and have not had one problem ever. But people will always say ahh u have cvt sell it now without even knowing anything else related to the car. Just saying.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

i decided to get it checked at the dealer for sure, i got this car for 5 grand only 4 months ago thats the shitty part ..if they said its bad and i need a new one it just won't be worth it

Old 06-04-2012, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

I guess I don't understand. Are you experiencing transmission problems? If not, what would the check give you in terms of timely useful information? This is the type of check maybe you'd want on a car's pre-purchase inspection (because the information could save you money by avoiding a potentially bad vehicle purchase). But in your case, can checking it now save you anything? IMHO, drive it until you experience transmission issues and save the several hundred bucks.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Certified

I would have researched more before buying the car.

I don't even think Audi even makes this transmission anymore. There is a reason for it

Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

I kinda new the cvt was a hit or miss, I was just hoping it was a hit. I have had the car at two Euro car auto shops but they both said they can't properly diagnose it because audi doesn't license all their tool or programs. and they both said its gonna go bad. When i bought the car the guy who sold it to me said that the orignal owner had it rebuilt at 70 thousand miles. i got it at 116.110 miles, I am the third owner. carfax was good, all the paperwork of all oil changes, and repairs were there (except the one for the rebuilt tranny) because it was done by the first owner. I just need to know how long the tranny would last me, weeks or months thats why i guess i decided to take it to the dealer.
also the dealer won't tell me anything about what they done to this car unless it was done under my name because of privacy. witch is also why i decided to take it their

Old 06-05-2012, 01:03 PM
4th Gear

Audi does still make the cvt. Its called frontTrak plus numerous other automakers use the technology. Ive been told numerous things about the cvt. It wont last a week to ive chipped my car to stage 2 and pushing 300 at the wheels and its still fine. Like i said im at 150,000 and have not had one problem with it. Never a jolt or no shifting. Just smooth. Just saying dont jump to conclusions.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

I am also looking for a mechanic to do a TCM repair, if you get a quote from the dealer, can you share with us the price?

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

going to the dealer today, will update once they explain everything

Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

OK, so my local dealer go me a great deal, $1050 for the whole job, parts and labor. I didn't even had to cry much!

However, the dealer where I bought the car is covering the repair, I realized they give 3 months/3k miles warranty on all cars they sell, so I saved the $1k!

Quick Reply: is it even worth going to a dealer