B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Freakin' screwed. I am giving up on my Audi

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Freakin' screwed. I am giving up on my Audi

So my timing belt went yesterday. I have been told by my mechanic that I have no compresion in cyclender 2. I am so screwed. Any help??????
Mike

Old 05-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Site Moderator

I like your SIG! You realize they are both owned by VW!?
No really, if you snapped the timing belt then you will most likely need the cylinder head re-built with new valves. Assuming you have a 1.8T (you didn't say...) if you have a 6 cylinder then the repair will be much higher.

On the bright side, if you have a 1.8T then the piston tops are very strong so there probably won't be any damage to them, so you could probably get a junked/used head from www.shokan.com and slap it on there with a new belt and call it a day. Which is the cheapest route.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

How many miles do you have on the car? My car is at 67K miles now and I am thinking to do timing belt when it reaches 75K miles. Not sure if that is a good idea or just do it now.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

Well it looks as though Audi might pay for it. I will have to see. Of you are at 60k get it do ASAP. It will go. And soon.
You know my first Porsche never had this many problems. Ever! I don't even drive it hard like I did the Porsche. A4 has been a constant litlr things for the entire year and a half I hve owned it. I do love how it drives and it is really comfortable. But come on. I came to Audi after meeting Allen Mcnish at 12 hours of Sebring. I thought I'll give it a go. Man have I got some news for him. I am still holding my breath with audi paying for the repair.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear

You'll pass out soon. What is the year and mileage?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

I have an '03 A4 1.8 T, with 61,000 miles on it. I do most of my own work. Including changing the oil at about 3500. Just to make sure the sludge issue isn't as likely to happen so soon. I have had to change an altinator, coolant flange, radiator, and coil pack. Yeah, I am sure that people will give me a sad story about how much they have had to do, but get real. It should last longer and with fewer problems a ford or chevy. And right now I can't say that. Yeah, I'll quit bitching if I didn't have these issues that shouldn't have happened in the first place. These are simple things that should not go wrong, and at 61k.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

I'm in the same boat as you. I've had to repair so many things in the 3 years and 65k miles that I've had my car. Luckily I bought it as a cpo.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Site Moderator

Well it definately will last longer than a ford or chevy, but it sure as hell won't have less problems. All german cars are like that, even your porsche, i know cause i used to work on them
I do hate how all the little stupid things go wrong with these cars but the crowning achievement is the longevity of the internals. A CLT (cylinder leak down test) can tell you how much blow by is going past the pistons. I've done a CLT test on a 2.8L A4 with 250,000 on the odometer and it had the same amount of leak down percentage as my parents 06 chevy trailblazer with 25,000 on it at 5%. Thats saying something. Granted you will probably change the valve cover gaskets 9 times but what the hell....

Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Don't get me wrong. I love the car everything about it is great. BUT, reliability. Is a lesson they could learn from toyota and Honda. I actually had less problems with my 968 than this A4. The engine just seemed bullet proof. I have an 83 944, beater that I bought for $1. Has to have 200k plus on the clock. She still runs. Not perfectly but she does.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mhmara
Don't get me wrong. I love the car everything about it is great. BUT, reliability. Is a lesson they could learn from toyota and Honda. I actually had less problems with my 968 than this A4. The engine just seemed bullet proof. I have an 83 944, beater that I bought for $1. Has to have 200k plus on the clock. She still runs. Not perfectly but she does.

i will triple your money back if you sell me that 944.

Quick Reply: Freakin' screwed. I am giving up on my Audi