B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Front diff humming

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:14 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Front diff humming

My car recently started humming while driving so I brought it into the stealership for them to investigate. They tell me that they think it is a bearing in the front diff and that to find out for sure they are going to have to take the tranny and diff out which is going to be about $800 - $900 worth of labor. Depending on what they find, it may be cheaper for me to get a new tranny/front diff than it will be for them to fix the current one. Of course my CPO warranty expired last month.

I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a similar issue. It just seems crazy to me that I am running into this issue with < 60k on my car.

Thoughts / opinions?

2003 / 1.8T / 5 speed / 58k

Old 03-27-2009, 05:57 AM
1st Gear

Well, I hope you love your car like I love mine, welcome to out-of-warranty land. I've dumped about ten grand into mine for repairs in a year, I got mine at 54K and I'm at 67K now.

Unfortunately, the stealership only stocks lube for the car, not for when they bend you over...

I really do wish you the best of luck, but if you can find somewhere that knows Audi that doesn't sell them, you are going to be a lot better off. If you are delusional like me, look at every break/fix as an opportunity to upgrade and go aftermarket...

Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

I really do love my car so I am hoping that after I pay off my loan, i can get a few more years out of it before I upgrade to a newer Audi ;-)

Thanks for the luck. I'll take anything at this point. I did contact Audi customer support and explained that my warranty just expired and that I was hit with a $5k - $6k estimate for repairs. I also explained that I purchased the car there and had all of my service work done there. They were very sympathetic towards me so they talked to the service manager for me and it looks like they are going to try to help me out a bit. Perhaps even cover 50% of the cost. The problem is that the service manager can't guarantee me any assistance until he knows exactly what the problem is.

One of my good friends is a sales manager at a local VW dealership so he offered to have one of his techs give me a second opinion.

I am planning on having them replace the clutch while the tranny is out. I was also thinking about having them put in a 6 speed if I have to replace the tranny. That would be awesome!!! :-D