B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

HELP! 03 A4 Stopped Running

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP! 03 A4 Stopped Running

Hi, I am new to Audis - just bought an 04 a4 quattro turbo and I love it. Have had it for less than a month. Well, the honeymoon is over now because today I pulled out of my neighborhood and my car made a weird poppoing sound and the cel started flashing. The motor will not push the car past about 5 mph and that takes a large amount of revs. I quickly turned it around and brought it back to my garage. I got under the car and into the engine bay and I see nothing to indicate any visible problems. Anyone know what this might be? Car has 105,000 miles on it. Thanks for any and all advice. I am pretty car savy, so feel free to refer to me any previous writeups on similar problems. Just got a code reader and the computer is throwing 3 different codes -
All refer to different cylinders misfiring. Could this be a timing belt? Coilover? distributor? Do any of these ideas seem like good places to start? Thanks for the help!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 AM
2nd Gear

Welcome to AudiForums!

Based on a quick google search on those codes, it sounds like one or more coil packs have gone bad. I'm pretty sure that's a known common issue with the 1.8T engines on the B6. In fact, there may be a service bulletin on it from the dealer.

Hopefully one of the guys who have experienced this will chime in and give more detailed advice, but for now I'd call the dealer and see if there's a recall on your VIN number's coil packs. You might be able to get them replaced for free.

Do you have any service records on the car as to whether it has had the plugs & coild packs replaced?

At 105k miles, I would certainly hope that the timing belt job has been performed on it, otherwise you need to get that done ASAP.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 AM
2nd Gear

certainly sounds like the coil packs. take it to audi, they will replace all of them for free under a recall. its a very common problem on just about every common (ie. 1.8t, some v6s) VW motor since the late 90s.

im pretty sure almost everyone here on the forums has had the issue, including myself.

if it doesnt have a lot of power, buy the packs at the dealer, and then you can likely file for a reimbursement, or if you have the vin, they might give them to you for free.

if you run the car long enough with multiple bad coil packs, you run the risk of ruining your catalytic converter (happened to me when i was on the way to have them replaced, the cat was glowing red. luckily i had less than 80k, so federal emissions warranty covered that)

Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

thanks so much for the direction here. Multiple sources argreed with you guys. I'll update you when I get it fixed.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear

If the engine is revving up that high but doesn't go to fast... I'd hate to point on the direction that might be obvious to me but not so obvious to some, poppin noise as far as mechanical or just backfire popping noise? It could be your clutch, but hope it's just the packs.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

I'm certain it is not the clutch. Packs come in the mail in two days, hopefully it will fix me up.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:33 AM
2nd Gear

keep us updated on if that fixes your problems. hope it does!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

coil packs come in tomorrow. I'll let you know. Gonna go ahead and change the plugs too

Old 10-04-2011, 12:49 AM
1st Gear

changed the coils today, tried to start car and it sounds like the battery is dead. Turned over a couple of times....now it just clicks. Tried to jump it off my truck and got nothing. What the hell? Symptoms are exactly like a dead battery but this makes no sense to me.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:50 AM
1st Gear

changed the coils today, tried to start car and it sounds like the battery is dead. Turned over a couple of times....now it just clicks. Tried to jump it off my truck and got nothing. What the hell? Symptoms are exactly like a dead battery but this makes no sense to me.

Quick Reply: HELP! 03 A4 Stopped Running