B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Help a/c pressure sensor Diagnose

Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Help a/c pressure sensor Diagnose

I have a 2004 A4 Audi b6 platform. Econ button light stays on, checked low side pressure refrigerant is good. Question is can I by pass the high-pressure sensor to diagnose it as the problem? Three wires brn/white goes to ground, Brn/blue goes to a/c control head and Gry/red goes to #6 5amp fuse. Can I jump these wires to by pass the sensor to see if the sensor is my problem?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

After looking for some info on wireing -pressure sensor is this the correct way to test the wireing if the sensor? HVAC High Pressure Sensor Testing - YouTube

Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Certified

how can you check low side pressure? If the econ button is stuck on it means the compressor is off, Which means your checking static pressure... Static pressure won't give any kind of diagnostic information

You need to have the system evacuated and recharged and filled with a dye.

In my many years working with Audi i can't remember a single instance where it has a bad pressure sensor. And before Audi, I used to overhaul A/C systems. 90% of all problems with A/C systems is a leak

Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
how can you check low side pressure? If the econ button is stuck on it means the compressor is off, Which means your checking static pressure... Static pressure won't give any kind of diagnostic information

You need to have the system evacuated and recharged and filled with a dye.

In my many years working with Audi i can't remember a single instance where it has a bad pressure sensor. And before Audi, I used to overhaul A/C systems. 90% of all problems with A/C systems is a leak
Hi Audi Tek,

a/c system has to have ??? pounds of static pressure for the pressure sensor to ok the activation the compressor. True??/

From what I've read if the system is fully charged the static pressure should be around 80 psi. Am I wrong?
If I'm correct static pressure does tell you somthing.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

OK may not be tottaly right about static pressure. So is there any way to activate the compressor (if not locked up or somthing) to check the low side pressure?

On older style cars could jump the low pressure switch wires to activate compressor. I know everything has changed.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

change the high pressure sensor...mine went last spring. same thing happened. econ light was on. you will have to evacuate the system though. If you don't have the equipment then bring it somewhere, my family owns an autobody shop so i had my dad help me out with it. I don't know much about ac systems.

Last edited by TheycallmeClutch; 03-30-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

sorry to open an old thread but did you ever get this fixed? im having the same problem and can't find any help on this subject.