B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

This hole shouldnt be here

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:43 AM
2nd Gear
Default This hole shouldnt be here

Ok so I posted awhile back that my car was filling up with water. I found where the shop placed my amp wire and its a giant hole about 1 inch in diameter. I dont think they drilled this hole, but there definately should be something here. Take a look for yourself.

This is located near where the steering column comes into the fire wall.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

Being a Vermonter and knowing the cheap way to fix things, there is this spray foam insulation you can use called "Great Stuff" and you can get the Big Gap Filler stuff. You can also combine that with some Duct Tape, and the two will seal off and solidify that hole. I say use the great stuff because it hardens, and duct tape alone will wear&tear over time. The duct tape (silver, I presume) is more for aesthetic value. Actually that Great Stuff is quite amazing. Its like $6 a can and a can will go for a while. Spray a little bit out on a paper towel if you haven't used it before so you will know how much it expands. You can skip the rest if you've used it before: Also, it will stain when it is wet, so try to avoid carpeting. Don't get it on your skin, it doesn't hurt or itch or anything, its just sticky for half an hour and you are peeling it off for days. If you do get it on your hands though, you might as well go for broke. And it will expand out the tube and drip after you stop spraying it for 2-4 minutes, so be on the ready with paper towels.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:16 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Sublime865
Being a Vermonter and knowing the cheap way to fix things, there is this spray foam insulation you can use called "Great Stuff" and you can get the Big Gap Filler stuff. You can also combine that with some Duct Tape, and the two will seal off and solidify that hole. I say use the great stuff because it hardens, and duct tape alone will wear&tear over time. The duct tape (silver, I presume) is more for aesthetic value. Actually that Great Stuff is quite amazing. Its like $6 a can and a can will go for a while. Spray a little bit out on a paper towel if you haven't used it before so you will know how much it expands. You can skip the rest if you've used it before: Also, it will stain when it is wet, so try to avoid carpeting. Don't get it on your skin, it doesn't hurt or itch or anything, its just sticky for half an hour and you are peeling it off for days. If you do get it on your hands though, you might as well go for broke. And it will expand out the tube and drip after you stop spraying it for 2-4 minutes, so be on the ready with paper towels.

first off appreciate the suggestion, i have used the expanding foam before. all things considered I am highly leaning towards plumbers putty, then locating the shop members and beating them

Old 09-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Site Moderator

Looks like the shop punched out a body plug, not the smartest way to install an amp wire......

Old 09-15-2008, 01:54 PM

they should have put a grommet in, any amiture could have done that much. I say pullbthe wire, put in a rubber plug, drill a hole in the plug barely smaller than the wire and push it through. More work but done right.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

If you drill like Porsche said, spend the $5 for a firewall bushing so that your wire doesn't get a worn sheath and short your + to chassis ground... Trust me on that one, thank GOD for fuses on the battery side of the firewall...

Old 09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

Whoops, misread, I thought Porsche was talking about drilling another hole in the firewall not through the grommet itsself, my bad.