B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

I need 350 hp without apr... gt28r fullrace manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:08 PM
1st Gear
Default I need 350 hp without apr... gt28r fullrace manifold

Ok i am building this a4 for my Marine friend who is currently overseas ... he wants a toy/ race car to make a dedicated track car...he likes autox and is looking into road racing... i want to pull motor and rebuild it considering 2.0, want head work, gt28r, full race manifold possibly build my own, head studs, what should i do for injectors? Engine management? I want egr deleted ..air pump gone and anything else not needed for performance ... without cel hahahaaa... Suspension, and likely 3.0 brake upgrade... i welcome your input and advice and recommendations on parts and hardware to utilize ... i want 350ish hp and setup to auto-x ... thank you in advance

Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

Probably not the answer you want, but you could just buy a B6 S4 for the same (if not less) amount of money. It comes with 350hp out of the box, plenty of torque to play with, all around better everything than the A4, MUCH more reliable at comparable power levels, and with a little bit of supporting mods and elbow grease it would be a pretty mean car. plus its an S4 so... come on. lol

Unless your friend has his heart set on building an A4..

Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, but I read about this stuff a lot.

In the event that you are set on this path, the one bit of advice I'd give is that the gt28r has been eclipsed by newer, better turbos. I'd look at something in a Borg-Warner EFR or one of the new GTX series Garrett turbos. Regarding engine management, there are several good options out there. If you like learning and tinkering, Maestro will eventually get you exactly what you want if you're willing to put in the time and effort tuning it yourself, or you could go a bit more off the shelf with something from Revo or Unitronic (not sure why you specifically exclude APR, but that's your choice).

Injector dynamics seem to be the high-end injectors of choice these days.

If you're going for 350+ HP, you might want more brakes than the 3.0 upgrade. I'd look at at least B6 S4, B7 A4, or B7 S4 brakes. They all share the same calipers, it's just different carriers and rotors between them.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

Ha-ha ... i told him the same thing... no his heart is set. And on this car specifically...i tried to tell him i could get a Modded s4 dbc that needed love and build it for the same price and he could have 2 audis ... alas to no avail ... so here we are paid off a4 6g into it already at about 220 hp and he is happy!!! Just wants more and wants it out of a 1.8... basically he sent me a video link to the fred Baker stasis a4 and said build me the equivalent ..

Old 06-25-2012, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

Im not trying to excluded them so much as i refuse to pay that much for the III+ kit and if it had any adjustment for me to put together different components i would stay with them .... and i have my own fabrication shop so im not all about bolting up someone else's kit. I was happy to use apr and quite pleased with the outcome with just the I+ flash... its just since he wants to. go that far i would rather rebuild the motor, buy a turbo, make a manifold,and put everything together and still have $$$ for a dyno for the same cash... obviously i would be pulling some favors but i saved those for a reason. I can weld titanium, inconel, aluminum and just about anything metal. I am not concerned with profit and would do anything for this Guy best friend anyone could ask for very honorable person. He passed up officers school straight out of boot camp because he didn't want to give orders without knowing what it was like to be the one receiving them... two tours and two meritorious promotions later he has re-upped and is trying to get back into officers school... if he asked me to move a mountain I'd be looking for a BIG lever!!! So that being said im not concerned with difficulty level only quality, performance and reliability. I have 2 yrs on this project. Thanks for the turbo tip

Last edited by crassfab; 06-25-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

I will also be needing a good tuner with a awd dyno within 16 hr drive of ohio... best of the best... forgive my ignorance i am familiar with audis not so much of the engine management and Tuning and who is quality...

Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

well is he dead set on turbo-charging? I've noticed a trend lately of people shoving 4.2's into A4s. Then he can have his A4 with the brute S4 powerplant. Hell, put the 4.2 in it and then turbo that. Or possibly look into PES tunings supercharger kit. Really the sky's the limit with large sums of money and no ceiling of effort and fab work.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

Are there superchargers for the 1.8? Cause i would do compound well before that swap... but other than that i didn't say unlimited funds but a reasonable budget and two yrs to complete and yes out of a 1.8... if we could keep suggestions relative to the 1.8 that would be awesome ... and i am dying to compound something thats not diesel and is the only pipe dream i wish to entertain.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

I'm not sure if they do or not. I know as previously mentioned that the gt28 has been phased out a bit, but for what its worth I had a 2871r on a 240sx and it was incredible. ridiculously fast spool, good power ceiling. I enjoyed it. Maybe look into the franken-turbo or elim turbo kits.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 AM
1st Gear

Yeah i was just reading about the frankenturbo .... interesting ....

Quick Reply: I need 350 hp without apr... gt28r fullrace manifold