B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Insane Repair Costs

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 AM
1st Gear
Angry Insane Repair Costs

So I was driving my 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro back from Lancaster Pennsylvania when all of a sudden my gearbox illumination went all red- and the car quickly jumped from the 4th gear to the 2nd and wouldn't rev. Given that it was raining, I was lucky enough to keep going and get home.

Here's the ugly part:

I take my car into Audi to see what is wrong - turns out my Transmission Control Module has failed - mind you this car has 89XXX miles on it. Guess what the quoted cost is to replace the TCM: $3750!!!!

And here's where it gets better: Not content with the highway robbery they just committed, the Rockville, MD Audi dealer calls me back to tell me they found shavings in my TCM and that I would need a new transmission - ~ $7500.00!!

How is that a transmission can cost more than 50% of what my car is worth on KBB?

Given the number of people experiencing this issue you'd think VW (and by extension Audi NA) would warranty this part free of charge - guess not.

And a car's transmission shouldn't fail at 89K - any suggestions as to how to go about getting this resolved?

For the time being I am thinking about taking it to an independent mechanic who specializes in Audi's - but honestly, that is letting off the dealership far too easily - I've spent a good deal of money and time over the years I've owned the car and it boggles my mind that a car would have this many problems - so much so that it makes me reconsider if I want another Audi - not because I don't love the car - but I hate with a passion the dealership bs.

If you know your car has issues (aka the well documented TCM problem) - cover it. A car company such as Audi, parent company Volkswagen Group (7.3 million units sold and €127 billion revenue, 2010), should be able to stand by their customers.

Rant over.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

Just realized I posted in the wrong forum...but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 AM
1st Gear

problem is, you took it to the dealer. the dealership ALWAYS has greatly inflated prices compared to reputable local shop. You should be able to get your trans rebuilt for a drastically lower price. If the shop is any good the should be able to get you a reman TCM, or know where to reman yours.

If your trans is not covered under the new car warranty, don't blame VW/Audi. If they made exceptions for every person in your situation, they may as well extent ALL new car warranties. It is unreasonable for you to think they should cover it just because YOU think they should, everything to do with a warranty is spelled out in writing from Audi somewhere.

Bottom line is, your car is broke (as cars often do) and you need it fixed. Shop around for the best deal from a reputable place and get it fixed. If you don't want to do that, get rid of the car.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

it is funny how you come to forums for help and it always seams like the biggest jackass troll post a answer 1st to make his dick hard....

Old 01-12-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Funny how that is huh?

So I went to Audi this morning, and they charged me about $750 for doing nothing - I am not going to pay for this absurd charge - and let's be honest here - no transmission should break down the way my car did.

On the plus side the customer service rep did say he would talk to his boss to see what they could do, but I hold very little hope Rockville Audi will get anything done.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

And derZeck, thank you for your enlightening advice - but my friends tune their Audi's regularly and most suggested the dealership route as many of the independents will not have the used or rebuilt trans model that I am looking for.

Still does not justify the outrageous charge from Audi of Rockville- many people seem to have problems with them.

Last but not least, I am contacting Audi USA to see what they can do.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Certified

kinda odd considering you don't have a TCM...

You have a mechatronics unit.... which is also the valve body. Somewhat a common failed issue. The limp home should have saved your transmission.

I have seen transmission failure.

I have seen mechatronic ONLY failure as well.

I'd actually want to speak with the shop foreman and have him show me the metal inside the transmission before i even discussed any repair. Keep in mind, It may say Audi on the building. But even my dealer.... Only half the techs are actually Audi Certified... and i would only recommended less than half of them for quality work.

Good work is hard to find. It doesn't matter where you go.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by audi_dude
And derZeck, thank you for your enlightening advice - but my friends tune their Audi's regularly and most suggested the dealership route as many of the independents will not have the used or rebuilt trans model that I am looking for.

Still does not justify the outrageous charge from Audi of Rockville- many people seem to have problems with them.

Last but not least, I am contacting Audi USA to see what they can do.
yeah, I am not trying to be a dick, I just see too many people thinking the dealer is a high and mighty power. We have many local shoppes that are well versed in import luxury cars, as well as parts houses that specialize in imports. I personally have never heard of anything but outrageous charges from dealerships, be it an import or not. Maybe my city has people and resources yours does not, but I was just recommending a coarse of action that I would have taken if I were having the same problems.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Welcome to owning one of the ******* things.....but I am addicted.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 AM
1st Gear

I just experience a similar issue with my '06 A4 Quattro which has 95K miles....check engine indicator came on, dealer checked the code and it indicated a bad mechatronic unit....and it would cost about $3,500 to fix (part alone is about $2400). This happened 3 months after my CPO warranty expired and two months after I outright bought the care off lease. Wrote a letter to Audi USA and they offered to contribute $1,000 towards the repair, still would be $2,500 out of pocket. Went to get second opinion at other audi dealer and their recommendation was to replace tranny all together since they found metal shavings in the fluid. Somehow they are are only charging me for 8-9 hours labor ($1,000). I struggled with the decision to either just replace the mechatronic and maintain original tranny or replace entire tranny with rebuilt one...I decided to go with the rebuild. The choice was a financial one and hopefully the right one.

Quick Reply: Insane Repair Costs