B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Just got a k04 installed on my 03 A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Just got a k04 installed on my 03 A4

And I have some concerns. For those of you who didn't read my first post, HOW DARE YOU.

Kidding

Background is I purchased my a4 in cash, thought I got a good deal, until my turbo blew on the way home from the dealer. I took it to a local shop that the local Audi fanatics swoon over. I think they did a fine job, prices were reasonable, but now I feel like I'm not holding boost.

This is my first experience with personally owning a turbo car. My husband had an older Eclipse, but it had the blow off valve and that fun stuff. We've got the diverter valve so it doesn't really make that nice PSSSSSHHHH, which is fine.

I really only notice it in 4th and 5th gear, 5th mainly. It makes a sound almost like the turbo is gasping. Almost like...whooOOOOOO HOOO HOOO HOOO.

It drives fine and seems to be working perfectly, except for that. I'm wondering if maybe something isn't calibrated correctly? We replaced the old turbo with a k 04, and replaced a whole slew of other things as well. Two shops have said the engine is in great condition, so the only issue we are having is the gasping turbo.

Any ideas?

Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Do you have a boost gauge, and if so, what is it telling you? (If you don't have one, visit podi.ca and pick one up - it's a great diagnostic tool to have, and the installation isn't *too* difficult.)

Is one of the "other things" you replaced the diverter valve, and if so, what type did you replace it with? (I've heard of worn out DVs and certain aftermarket DVs making a sound that has been described as "mooing," so that could potentially be it.)

Do you have a custom tune to account for the fact that you have a K04 now, or are you running the stock programming?

Others who are more expert than me will probably be along shortly asking even more questions - hopefully between all of us, we can figure out what's going on.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 PM
4th Gear

did u upgrade anything else along with the ko4? Intercooler dv injectors? like olystn said best thing is to get a boost gauge and see how she reads.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by olstyn
Do you have a boost gauge, and if so, what is it telling you? (If you don't have one, visit podi.ca and pick one up - it's a great diagnostic tool to have, and the installation isn't *too* difficult.)

Is one of the "other things" you replaced the diverter valve, and if so, what type did you replace it with? (I've heard of worn out DVs and certain aftermarket DVs making a sound that has been described as "mooing," so that could potentially be it.)

Do you have a custom tune to account for the fact that you have a K04 now, or are you running the stock programming?

Others who are more expert than me will probably be along shortly asking even more questions - hopefully between all of us, we can figure out what's going on.
We did replace the dv valve and a few other things. I'll have to see what brand we got. Right now Diablo III is installing so I won't be getting any decent answers! Friday we will be ordering a boist gauge

Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by olstyn

We did replace the dv valve and a few other things. I'll have to see what brand we got. Right now Diablo III is installing so I won't be getting any decent answers! Friday we will be ordering a boost gauge as well as a Turbo timer. Hopefully we just have a mooing dv In regards to the settings or what have you, I'm not 100%. I took it to the shop and that was that!! I'll update more tomorrow when I'm not on my phone and can actually read and respond correctly!!