B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

"Left dipped headlight" Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:15 AM
1st Gear
Default "Left dipped headlight" Problem.

About a month ago the "left dipped headlight" symbol came on but I thought nothing of it because it was working properly and warning symbol quickly left. Two days ago I noticed my left low beam xenon light was a yellowish tinge unlike my right which was pearly white. Today the symbol came back on and the left low beam xenon light started to flicker. Do I need a new low beam light or is this just a common problem? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T, Sports Package, Xenon light package.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:16 AM
1st Gear

UPDATE

Here is a pic of my car to show what I mean by the yellowish tinge. But when ever the lights are turned off the lights return to the normal color and brightness but soon fade to that yellow rather fast.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear

You need a new bulb.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shane.trammell
You need a new bulb.
every 3 or 4 nights when driving home from work i'll get the "right headlight dipped" as well. but it only flashes for a second, and then goes away. and it doesn't reappear for days.

anyway, assuming i need a new bulb, are those expensive? i noticed these headlights are different then most cars.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up A4 B6 Lh headlight dipped

I did have the same problem LH headlight dipped for a while now,i drives me nuts trying to figure it out.i took off the leveling control unit from the control arm and cleaned it and the plug and then put it back together then when i turn the headlights on they started to move down and then up.i took it to the dealer and they put their computer on it and clear the headlight contol code and everything was good.(NO DIPPED HEADLIGHT CODE)

Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ChrisSparky
About a month ago the "left dipped headlight" symbol came on but I thought nothing of it because it was working properly and warning symbol quickly left. Two days ago I noticed my left low beam xenon light was a yellowish tinge unlike my right which was pearly white. Today the symbol came back on and the left low beam xenon light started to flicker. Do I need a new low beam light or is this just a common problem? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T, Sports Package, Xenon light package.
Your problem is on the ballast, change it is ok.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by command
Your problem is on the ballast, change it is ok.

How do you know it's the ballast and not the bulb? One of my HID's started turning a pinkish color a few weeks ago. I swapped the bulbs (which only takes 10mins) and the issue went to the other side. This ruled out the ballast so I just got new bulbs and it's been fine ever since.

Just make sure that you use rubber gloves when you change the bulbs. The oil from your fingers will cause a hot spot on the bulb and it won't last as long.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 xenon headlights dipped

Hi All,

I've read several posts about an issue relating to Audi A4 xenon headlights dipping. I own a 2005.5 (2005 1/2) Audi A4 sedan with bi-xenon auto headlights. They have had issues since it was new. Audi replaced them once under warranty but problems re-occurred after warranty expiration. Constantly getting headlamp Left Dipped, Headlamp Right dipped and is very dangerous at night. I have had car in Audi service and they claim they can't replicate the issue and don't know what is causing it yet when i search online, it appears to be a very COMMON problem involving faulty igniters relating to headlights.
MUST READ THIS FORUM
Audi A4 "left dipped headlight" problem - FixYa
and this
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...licker-Problem

I believe Audi dealers don't want to pay for this expensive repair so I ask all of you to contact Audi Corporate if you continue to have these problems. call 800-822-2834.

Last edited by mgalaxy; 10-25-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by mgalaxy
Hi All,

I've read several posts about an issue relating to Audi A4 xenon headlights dipping. I own a 2005.5 (2005 1/2) Audi A4 sedan with bi-xenon auto headlights. They have had issues since it was new. Audi replaced them once under warranty but problems re-occurred after warranty expiration. Constantly getting headlamp Left Dipped, Headlamp Right dipped and is very dangerous at night. I have had car in Audi service and they claim they can't replicate the issue and don't know what is causing it yet when i search online, it appears to be a very COMMON problem involving faulty igniters relating to headlights.
MUST READ THIS FORUM
Audi A4 "left dipped headlight" problem - FixYa
and this
Class Action Lawsuit: Dipped Headlight / Flicker / Problem

I believe Audi dealers don't want to pay for this expensive repair so I ask all of you to contact Audi Corporate if you continue to have these problems. call 800-822-2834.

WRONG............. Audi dealers dont "pay" for repairs.... Audi of America does. Its has nothing to do with the dealer. The dealer will do anything they can to submit a claim thru Audi Of America because it means more money for them, but they have to be able to prove that there is a problem before they can do it. And if you car is out of warranty, Then why should they pay for it...?

The fact is..... you have an older car with either a failing ballast or bulb. Its simple fix. You swap the bulb from one side to the other. If the flicker changes sides, replace the bulb. If not replace the ballast. Not rocket science.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Default Both front and rear

Left side, all lights having issue. ALL bulbs are new, yes I used gloves. New ballasts, (stock replacements from audi), and now, not even a month into new bulbs, tail light doesn't work, headlight on left doesn't work but fog lights, brake lights and turn signals do?!? Maybe switch? But everything else works, not sure here. Had it at Audi and they said there is no issue, no error codes, I'm kinda getting frustrated here. Even replaced light assemblies and all bulbs. All audi factory stuff not aftermarket. Wiring is all in good shape, connectors are in good shape and clean. Any ideas after all is said and done?

Last edited by emumme34@gmail.com; 04-10-2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Typos

Quick Reply: "Left dipped headlight" Problem.