B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Loud Idle at start-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Default Loud Idle at start-up

Basically when I start it up when its been setting over night or for a few hours it idles kind of loud and the RPM's idle aroud 1500 instead of under 1000. It only last for a few mins when the car is warming up and it almost sounds like the fan is kicking on? I don't know if it is normal or not, I wouldn't assume so, but shortly after driving for a few seconds or after it warms up for a min it stops. If anyone has ideas that would be great. BTW its an 02 1.8T.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by asnatch02-a4
Basically when I start it up when its been setting over night or for a few hours it idles kind of loud and the RPM's idle aroud 1500 instead of under 1000. It only last for a few mins when the car is warming up and it almost sounds like the fan is kicking on? I don't know if it is normal or not, I wouldn't assume so, but shortly after driving for a few seconds or after it warms up for a min it stops. If anyone has ideas that would be great. BTW its an 02 1.8T.
same thing happens to me, same car too. i actually have it in the shop for that reason, and another reason too...but, anyway, i'll let you know if i find i a solution.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

Normal start up. Just the cars way of warming stuff up. It kicks on the turbo, that's the main noise you hear briefly.
It's basically doing a little system check. If you let it idle for a couple min, it simmers down.
No need to worry.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:11 PM

I opend up the hood this time to check it out to give a better description and it sounds like it makes a ticking noise coming from the engine as well. I had been doing some other reading and it almost sounds like it could be the timing chain tensioner as well. Does that usually happen often and if so should I get it replaced right away? if so is it possible to diy? this is my second audi I had a b5 previously with the 1.8T and it didn't ever sound like that on the start up. Also Should I wait for the car to stop making the noise before I start driving? I usually do, Just want to make sure nothing super bad is going to happen anytime soon.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

I'm not sure on the tensioner...it could be a handful of things.

I would normally describe a ticking sound coming from the engine as a valve ticking.
Next oil change put some oil stabilizer in it, and some synthetic oil. That would quiet it down, or get rid of the sound if that is the case.

But it's always a good idea to check any thing you may think that it could be. And if it causes enough concern, you can always get it checked out.

As far as driving as soon as you start it up. Don't worry about driving, but like any car high revs should always be avoided when the motor is cold.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 PM

i would just let it warm up the amount of time it idles high is usuaslly how long it takes to get good oil pressure and oil circulating throughout the motor, like muleperformance said that is part of the computer which helps the car to warm faster as well as get lubrication to the rotating assembly, now if it was idling at 2200 plus id be concerned(usually a vacuum leak) but at 1500 its fine, i have a b5 that idles anywere from 1200 to 1500 on startup, the ticking could be anything from a lifter to a cracked turbo manifold or gasket on the manifold, once the engine warms up does the ticking go away? or does it stay?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 PM

First of all thank both of you guys for your input I reall appreciate it. The oil I use is synthetic, I use Total (elf) 5w40. And for the ticking it only does it on the start up when the car is idleing at 1200 rpms then when the idle goes back down it stops. Also this idleing problem only lasts for about 30 sec to a minute or so not very long. And do you guys think when it gets warmer out it will continue to do this or just in the winter time? I live in Michigan.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 AM

just in the winter time or on cool mornings, the ticking is probly the exhaust and once the manifold warms up it expands and fills the void. mine does the same thing i live in montana.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rikk_lammi
just in the winter time or on cool mornings, the ticking is probly the exhaust and once the manifold warms up it expands and fills the void. mine does the same thing i live in montana.
You know, come to think of it. My car did tick during the winter...Where I used to live, the early morning start up I do remember a ticking. Lol I never bothered to look cause it was always to cold. And by the time I would think about it I didn't have the sound any more.