B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Low oil Light.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Default Low oil Light.

I have a 2004 A4 18T 62k miles that I buy from an auction here in Puerto Rico. Since I did not know about the past of the car I took it to make an oil change to a quick lube center. They made an engine flush and put new regular oil and filter to the car. The next day the car came up with the low pressure oil light. After asking some friends they told me to check the crank for dust residual and put new synthetic oil and new filter. We check the crank with an Snap on Tools Color Camera after draining the oil and looks very clean bottom on the crank. We also send the camera thru the deep stick level of oil and thru the valve cover and the engine looks very clean inside. We also replace the oil pressure sensor with a new one for just in case. After this the car did not came up with the light again until two days after again. Can someone tell me if is a good idea to change the oil pump with 62k miles or it can be something else.
Thanks.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:45 AM
3rd Gear

Low OIL Pressure is very dangerous!!! Usually, it happens when you engine is sludged!!!
It is not recommended to drive it. On a good note, there is a possibility that your sensor went bad.
P.S. Thats why it is recommended to use Synthetic oil, to protect your car from the sludge issues, especially in our 1.8ts

Old 06-27-2009, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

And please please please...never bring to a jiffy lube or whatever again...for the sake of the rest of us!!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 PM

I replaced a new oil sensor and the light came on again. I also place a mechanical gauge and I have 20psi on idle and 45psi @ 2,000rpm. More pressure will come up with accelerations. I took the pressure sensor plug and the light come on again. It might be a grounding problem?

Old 09-20-2009, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

if you are using the oil 20w-50 ir something like that ... a thick oil "and it doesnt matter if it is synth" the car might turn on the oil pressure light because in PR the temperature is always the same vs Germany that is always cold. You should put some sae40 because of the temperature, the 20w-50 will get very thick as it gets hot and the sae 40 is not. The sae40 will remain the same thick always. Why??... the oil will flow faster inside the engine as it gets thick and hot and that thickness is what causes the light to turn on... thats why your car might turn on the light after 10 or 15 minutes or even more. Because it gets hot and the oil gets thick.
Dont be afraid to keep runing the car... the light is just an advice... if your engine sounds strange then turn it off... othrerwise there are no reson to be scared.
The light wont advice you when the car is already broke.
Try ir... I live in PR too and I had that problem and sae40 worked!!!!
I have an black audi a4 1.8t and it is right now 64k miles.
if after that the lights are still turning on... unplug the battery and after 10 minutes plug it on again. That will reset the oil pressure light signal and the car will get ok again!!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by godrock00
if you are using the oil 20w-50 ir something like that ... a thick oil "and it doesnt matter if it is synth" the car might turn on the oil pressure light because in PR the temperature is always the same vs Germany that is always cold. You should put some sae40 because of the temperature, the 20w-50 will get very thick as it gets hot and the sae 40 is not. The sae40 will remain the same thick always. Why??... the oil will flow faster inside the engine as it gets thick and hot and that thickness is what causes the light to turn on... thats why your car might turn on the light after 10 or 15 minutes or even more. Because it gets hot and the oil gets thick.
Dont be afraid to keep runing the car... the light is just an advice... if your engine sounds strange then turn it off... othrerwise there are no reson to be scared.
The light wont advice you when the car is already broke.
Try ir... I live in PR too and I had that problem and sae40 worked!!!!
I have an black audi a4 1.8t and it is right now 64k miles.
if after that the lights are still turning on... unplug the battery and after 10 minutes plug it on again. That will reset the oil pressure light signal and the car will get ok again!!!!
Question, I have a 96 Audi Quattro 2.8L, and I'm woundering if that's why my oil light comes on only when I take off when it's cold, then I stop and go and same thing but once it warms up it's good, I'm using 10W30 like it recommends and I also replaced the oil sending unit just encase, what's your intake on this or any anyone. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Madeinusa
Question, I have a 96 Audi Quattro 2.8L, and I'm woundering if that's why my oil light comes on only when I take off when it's cold, then I stop and go and same thing but once it warms up it's good, I'm using 10W30 like it recommends and I also replaced the oil sending unit just encase, what's your intake on this or any anyone. Thanks.
Hello there,
Well I have changed once again the oil specs for my Audi a4 2003 B6, I'm using the one that says in the users manual and that's 0W-40, Mobile One, its made specifically for european cars. And I have not had problems with the oil. I changed the oil about 4 months ago and the oil pressure light hasn't appear yet, and when I was using 20w-50 it wouldn't turn on the oil pressure light till the 3rd month.