B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

At my Wit's End

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

So, I noticed something else yesterday morning and this morning. Started it up, ran rough, missed, CEL flashes, rev to 3000, CEL stops flashing, engine stops missing. I also noticed white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes for 15 seconds or so and then went to normal, invisible (virtually) exhaust.

Took it out on some errands, CEL stayed on the entire time, stopped it and started several times, started fine each time, no missing, no CEL flashing. Ran great, good acceleration, everything was great. Purred like a kitten all day long, except for the first 20 seconds this morning when I first started it.

Called the dealer today, we are on a first name basis (lol), explained everything I have posted here in the past few days. Told him I could get it down there Friday at the earliest because my wife is giving birth to our second child tomorrow.

I told him that since I have a warranty, I am definately going to use it. I told him, and I will tell him again when I get it down there, that I want everything checked, 02 sensor, fuel pump, cat, cylinders, exhaust valves, you name it. I am sick and tired of bringing it there just to get it back still screwed up. I was nice to him, he is a good guy and you dont mess with the people trying to fix your car. It's almost a joke now.

Thank you again for helping me out and coming up with possible solutions to what is going on. I would hate to get rid of this car that I absolutely love when it is right. Never have a had a faster, better accelerating, more luxurious, better handling, more comfortable and all around great car than this A4. I just wish this problem can be fixed so I can enjoy the car more.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 PM

congrats on thi kid let me know what happens at the dealer to see what it was and if we were on the right track

Old 03-27-2010, 02:40 AM
1st Gear

So, you can add two more problems to the list.

Leaking coolant, and not onto the ground, at least none that I have seen.

And, the heater takes FOREVER to blow warm air. Far longer than ever.

Should've kept my Mazda.....

Old 03-27-2010, 10:17 AM
3rd Gear

The coolant leak I'm almost certain that is going to be the crossover pipe on the back of the engine toward the firewall, right there where your coolant temperature sensor is at. If you're low on coolant or have a leak it would cause your heater to delay or stop working altogether.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

Took her to the dealer today. Talked to the guy and asked him to have everything checked. I explained to him the deal, flashing CEL on cold start, and then rev to 3k, then it runs great.

But, when I started it today, the white smoke poured out of the exhaust and it smelled very sweet. I put a pencil mark on the coolant resevoir on friday night and didnt start the car at all until today. I checked it today, and no coolant leaked. When I got to the dealer, the coolant level dropped about 1/8th inch. Where is my coolant going when the car is being driven?

He said that it kind of sounds like a head gasket, but they dont get many blown head gaskets with Audi (that he's seen) but that it is possible.

But, could a blown HG cause the car to miss upon cold start? If so, why would the car run great the rest of the time?

Anyway, hope to hear tomorrow what the verdict is. Warranty deductible is $100, so that is great. Just sucks to keep not having my car.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:57 PM
3rd Gear

Yes headgaskets are a common problem with the 1.8 turbo, although they don't usually go together as a cause of a missfire, that's normally two different fault but maybe in your case is not.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Site Moderator

If you can actually smell coolant coming from the tailpipe thats a terrible sign. I was going to ask if you or the dealer likes to wash the engine bay, because nothing takes out an audi coil pack faster than a pressure washer. I can remember a handfull of times where i would replace coil packs, take it to the wash bay clean up the engine and have it come back a day later misfiring. All this misfiring could have caused a blown headgasket, but you would be overheating something fierce if that were the case. Is it overheating? Can you smell the coolant smell under the hood? I can think of two places on that engine where coolant would leak and you wouldn't see it.
I hate to say it, but it sound like your audi dealer is in some need of more experienced techs. Another thing to look out for is when you return the car to the dealer it count as a "comeback" and those usually go to the same tech. So you might have a numbskull mechanic, and the person next to him can fix the car with his eyes closed.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

I am not familiar with the smell of coolant, but the exhaust smelled sweet for sure. I have had my head inside the engine bay for a week (havent messed around) but I dont think I smelled coolant. But, there is a small hose, maybe 3/4 inch that runs under the coolant resevoir that I noticed coolant on it the last few days. It is not overheating at all, the needle sticks right in the middle of the C and H, just like it always has. As far as cleaning the engine, I am not sure. Sometimes I get it back and the car has been cleaned, sometimes not.

I have already talked to my wife about getting rid of it if it keeps happening, I hope it doesnt come to that cuz I really do like the car. And it is worth more than I owe, so that is a good thing.

What really sucks is that I dont know of any other place to take it.

And also, back to the exhaust, after I rev the engine to get it to stop misfiring, the exhaust smells normal and is invisible.

Last edited by Bombguy; 03-29-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Site Moderator

You don't have a blown head gasket then, coolant will smell sweet but a blown headgasket would cause massive amounts of white smoke coming out of the exhaust followed by the smell of a jelly belly factory on fire.
I was gonna mention if you saw any crusted coolant under the expansion tank, that is an area it slowly leaks.
There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) for a leak under the intake manifold, its basically a plug with a little O-ring around it. The TSB also covers poor heating issues inside the cabin (sound familiar) and it only leaks when the engine is cold.
The other leak spot is where Dan was talking about behind the engine from the coolant flange. This will leak coolant onto the exhaust and it will evaporate, you will NEVER see any coolant on the ground if its leaking from here. Plus you will have heater issues with this as well.
I don't believe your misfires are related to the coolant leaking. Im assuming you are having the coils replaced by the dealer? Those coils (BREMI) are complete crap and will misfire no matter what you do. I would upgrade all four coils to a set of Hitachi packs http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...nition/ES7536/
This also converts the coils to a bolt down design which is what audi SHOULD have stuck with from back in the day. The push down coils are garbage.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Site Moderator

WHOOPS, wrong link. That was for a B5, here is the kit for the B6. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-...nition/ES7536/