B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

At my Wit's End

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM

it may not be your coil pack if you just had them replaced it could anumber of things from wire issues for the coil packs or it can even be a fuel injector problem as well sticking or leaking into that cylinder. get a code reader and see what it is and we can go from there. if you started off with misfires you could have destroyed the cat due to driving it with the misfires. now that you say when you rev the engine and it stops misfiring is most likely an electrical problem not mechanical so probably a coil problem or wires for a certain coil when the dealer replaced your coils for the recall did the replace any wires or connectors?

Old 03-21-2010, 12:56 PM

remove your engine cover and look at the ground strap that is right next to coil number 1 it is held in a 10mm bolt make sure that is connected with a bolt to the valve cover i have seen this many times from people forgetting to put the ground back on.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ketteman32
remove your engine cover and look at the ground strap that is right next to coil number 1 it is held in a 10mm bolt make sure that is connected with a bolt to the valve cover i have seen this many times from people forgetting to put the ground back on.
I took off the engine cover, and the ground is very tight and secure. If it is the coils (again) can I take them out and maybe figure out which one(s) are screwed? And if so, can you tell by looking at them if they are screwed?

Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 PM

you most likely wont be able to tell which one it is by just looking at them

Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

Went down to Autozone so they can read the codes.

P0300 Random/multiple cylinders misfiring
P0301 Cylinder 1 misfiring
P0302 Cylinder 2 misfiring

That is what I found looking on the internet, if the codes mean something else, I am all ears.

Car is still hard to start, CEL flashes upon cold start, stops flashing when I rev the engine to 2500-3000.

The dealer said they found some burned wires and replaced them this most recent trip for the misfiring. I asked the guys at Autozone what could be constantly blowing my coils and they gave me blank stares. I really appreciate all the replies and help, once this thing goes back to the dealer later this week, I'm going to tell them to check the all the stuff you guys have mentioned. Thanks again.

I think I'm going to have a beer.

Last edited by Bombguy; 03-21-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:57 PM

i know you may not want to do this but if your could change the coils from cylinder 1 and 2 and move them to 3 and 4 and go back to autoone and see if the misfires transferred thats an easy way to see if its just the coils and if they dont then we know its something with cylinders 1 and 2 only. it may be the spark plugs have gone bad. when they replaced your coild last time and wires do you know what coils they replaced. i am asking due to dealers are only allowed to replace coils that fall under certain part numbers it may be that they only replaced 3 and 4 and now you have 1 and 2 failing. if you have a spark plug socket maybe remove the plugs and check them out. remove the coils and see if you have any oil in the cylinders may be a faulty valve cover gasket. let me know and if you got any more questons let me know. i am just curious as to what your dealer does cause i know how we would do it at my dealer so i just want to make sure they are taking care of it correctly for you cause its becoming rediculous that you have been in that many times

Old 03-21-2010, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

Is it easy to remove the coils and put them in other coil "slots"? Can you gimme step by step?

I know next to nothing about cars, and certainly not about critically important parts of the engine.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM

ya its real easy remove the engine cover. remove the bolt holding down the ground coil its a 10mm bolt. grap and the coils and pull up on the but dont pull them out all the way yet just get them out slightly. to remove the connectors first push them forward towards the coil and while doing this press back the tab to release the connector and slide them off then do this to all the coils and just swap the coils. cylinder order is 1 2 3 4 starting from the front of the engine. to install just repeat it all and make sure the coil connectors snap back into the coils you will be able to hear it and make sure to put the ground strap back onto the valve cover with the 10mm bolt.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

So, thinking out loud here, what do you think causes the car to start and run fine at the dealer, but crap out the next day or 2-3 days later after I get it back?

Like I said, I have to drive it 50 miles to get it home, and shortly thereafter, it misfires.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:43 PM

you know it always happens like that it happens to alot of people at my dealer they will get a car in that the customer complins about something and when we get it in the car runs perfect. but hopefully this time they can finally figure it out. yo might have a secondary air problem which may be causing the misfires and that only runs in the morning when the car is cold so maybe when the dealer gets it its warm and that isnt running