B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Need help, Car jerks on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help, Car jerks on acceleration

I have no idea what this could be. When i take off from a stoplight my car starts jerking, loses power, but only in 1st gear or 2nd gear. No lights pop up on the dash. At first i thought it could be the ignition coils going out again, but i just had them replaced abut a month or 2 ago (around 6,000 miles ago). Could the coils be going out already? The jerking happens when im going around 25-30mph, but after i go faster the jerking stops, and the car is smooth. Has anyone had this problem before? Btw i have a 2003 A4 1.8t fwd with 82,000miles. Someone mentioned to me that there could be a leak in the turbo or vacuum? But i don't know much about that.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Acceleration problem ...

i have the same problem in my 1997 A4 1.8L no turbo no nothing just 1.8L. when i accelerate it feels like the cars is dying then it suddenly speeds up and accelerates. i scanned it so many times but nothing!! even on the dash board there are no sensor lights signaling anything!! the rpm is also normal !! and SOMETIMES when i reach speeds 60-80 km/h it feels like the engine is cutting off and on quickly example: like when u run out of gas. And always when i want to to turn the car on i have to press on the gas peddle to start.

PLZ HELP ANY IDEAS??????

Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 AM
2nd Gear

Clogged fuel filter? That's a relatively cheap item to replace and see if that helps.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:46 AM
4th Gear

do u hear a whine from your rear seat. Thats a sign of filter pump going bad. I would visually inspect the vac lines first to see if their might be a small crack somewhere in a line.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

I'm not sure if its the same problem as i had butttttt... when i would accelerate around 2-3000 rpms my car would hesitate a bit, kind of like you are saying. I got my timing belt changed, water pump, thermostat etc, everything that goes along with a timing belt change out and i have yet to encounter this problem again. I wouldn't say do something drastic like that first off, but 85,000+ is pushing for a stock TB.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

same problem. tons of $$ into new parts..MAP Sensor, coils, plugs, MAFs(3), fuel filter, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, ECT sensor, etc. them turbo went out. time to upgrade for me. maybe this was the problem from the beginning for me. with MAF plugged in i could not get above 3k rpms...with it unplugged it runs (decent) but does not feel like it should. says it boosts to 13psi...and eventually it will drop into safe mode... ran it like that for about 3 months.,.then turbo went bye bye

Old 07-09-2011, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

yeah Ive been hearing a whining noise for a few weeks. I just bought the fuel filter. hopefully that fixes it. ill let you know if it does or not. thanks for the help guys.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ChrisJz
yeah Ive been hearing a whining noise for a few weeks. I just bought the fuel filter. hopefully that fixes it. ill let you know if it does or not. thanks for the help guys.
plz do tell if it works .... tk for the posts everyone...

Old 07-17-2011, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

So i installed the new fuel filter and the problem is still there. Ive also heard that the MAF sensor could use a cleaning, so i took it out and cleaned it. The car has more power but the jerking is still there when accelerating. I can't see any cracks or leaks either. Guess ill be taking it to the dealership and have them look at it.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM
4th Gear

take ur car to autozone and have it scanned. That might give someone a better idea of whats not working right on ur car. Cuz autozone is free to scan and dealerships arent.

Quick Reply: Need help, Car jerks on acceleration