B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

No car manual and I got a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 AM
1st Gear
Default No car manual and I got a question

I hate to make a new thread, looked around for a little while and I didn't really find an answer. But when the car is locked by the key fab there is a red blinking light on the top side of the door and also the hazzard triangle glows that im sure means that there is an alarm activated. That could all be normal but when id unlock it and watch it, it would lock itself after like 30 or so seconds and start flashing the security lights again. Im sure its all the normal but it locking itself kinda made me wonder. When the security is activated should it lock itself after 30 or so seconds as a saftey feature incase you forgot to do it yourself?

Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

It shouldn't lock back up and activate on it's own. My old a4 (in signature) did this and it was due to the door latch in the drivers door (is used the most), as well as my old mkIV jetta. Just an idea to look at, it had something to do with the electronics build into the latch and was told to try and clean/see if it was broken, or replace. Now I'm fairly certain you can vagcom and pull up something like this and see what is actually causing it. Might take some investigating and troubleshooting. Do you have a spare key somewhere? Might be a good idea to have one ready, or roll the window down 3-4 inches if letting the car warm up so you can get in if it locks up on you. Good luck and keep us update !

EDIT: I can't emphasize enough, don't start changing parts without being fairly certain. It's such a waste of money if you do

Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dozanti
It shouldn't lock back up and activate on it's own. My old a4 (in signature) did this and it was due to the door latch in the drivers door (is used the most), as well as my old mkIV jetta. Just an idea to look at, it had something to do with the electronics build into the latch and was told to try and clean/see if it was broken, or replace. Now I'm fairly certain you can vagcom and pull up something like this and see what is actually causing it. Might take some investigating and troubleshooting. Do you have a spare key somewhere? Might be a good idea to have one ready, or roll the window down 3-4 inches if letting the car warm up so you can get in if it locks up on you. Good luck and keep us update !

EDIT: I can't emphasize enough, don't start changing parts without being fairly certain. It's such a waste of money if you do
I opened the door and turned the security system on then off again, after I did that it didn't lock by itself again. Didn't fix anything so we'll have to see if it starts doing it again.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

Actually, sounds like your car is behaving normally; my '02 manual states (on page 68):

After unlocking the vehicle, you have 60 seconds to open a door or the rear lid. After 60 seconds, the vehicle automatically locks and the alarm system activates again.

Dozanti: given that your old car was a B5, normal, correct function may have been different for it.

Last edited by olstyn; 02-24-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear

what olstyn said.

if you unlock your car remotely and dont open the doors or trunk within a minute, it will lock itself back up. it is a safety feature (the car doesnt know if you unlocked it by accident, or unlocked it and forgot to go out to it, so it secures itself). also, the hazard light will always stay lit, just an fyi

Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

It says the same thing in the manual for my '99, so the B5's do the same.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
4th Gear

it is the norm. The read light will blink when the car is armed. If they light stays solid then u have a problem!