B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Odd Noise, Dead Battery, Convenience System kaput?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Odd Noise, Dead Battery, Convenience System kaput?

Okay, friend of mine has a 2004 1.8T Cabrio. He mentioned a few days ago that an odd noise is coming from his glove box and doesn't matter if the ignition is on or not...it ended up draining his battery. I took a look at it today and discovered it is coming from his GLOVE BOX LID!!! What in the world did Audi put inside the glove box lid? The sound is like a small motor running and vibrating inside the lid. I opened the glove box and on the right hinge there is a wire going into the lid built into the hinge. I took the side dash panel off and found two pigtails and two plugs. One is looking like the switch for the glove box light (has the shock) the other...is to whatever is in the lid. I disconnected it and no more dead battery. What the heck is this??

Also, back to the central convenience system. I think it is shot. He mentioned that the key fobs stopped working...while I was there, I checked the windows...they don't function. I checked the battery in the key fob, I tried opening/closing the windows using the key in the door..nothing...I checked the fuse for the doors, and the fuse for the convenience system...fine. The kicker...this is on a cabrio..(when you open the doors, the windows are supposed to roll down 1/8" then wait for the door to close, then roll back up) They are only going down, not up...so every time you open the door, the window goes down even further without returning up. I think his Central locking system is fried. Is this located on the bottom passenger foot well like my A4 B7?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

Did you ever find out what was causing the noise ? I have a vehicle at my shop with the same exact noise. it occurred after the battery went dead. The windows no longer work as well as other conviences.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

Greetings ... just joined the forum and was searching around and found this post. I have this problem too ... excessive drain on the battery, pulled the battery for a couple of weeks and when I reattached the negative cable to move the car, I have this electric motor running inside the glove box door and none of the windows work. The windows do go down a bit when I open the door and back up when I shut it as they're supposed to though, which is a bit different than the original poster's problem. Any ideas on this?

Old 11-23-2016, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

car sleeps in the garage with a disconnected battery for now (bump)