B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:41 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Oil Change

ORIGINAL: Carlos10704

I'm going in for my 70k service at a shop called QuattroHouse in Newark NJ. They said its going to be $215 total for the service...

I'm wondering if I should buy my own oil and oil filter and have them use it or just trust them to use good oil and a big oil filter...

I called and they said that they use 100% synthetic oil but I didn't ask what brand and how big the oil filter would be...

I heard about this place here on the forums, but you never know..
wow, your *** should hurt after you pay thatbill

my dealer didnt evenchangethe filter (i marked it)

you are basically paying $215 for an oil change and a air filter .... if you are even remotely capable of twisting a screwdriver, DIY for $50 in parts (with a new air fillter)

do you really think that they are doing all those "courtesy" insepctions??? hell no.... and if they do, they will find something else that needs repair

Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 PM

well now that you put it that way... I'll buy my own oil and oil filter... and do it myself... they DID say that its just a bunch of checking.... here's the list of what they are supposed to check

So far I KNOW I need more coolant, and oil change, and now an air filter...

are these the right air filters?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:31 PM

P.S

I can't find a DIY for a 3.0 oil change in the forums...

and when do I need to change the brake fluid?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:49 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: akielb

I use Royal purple right now. Next I'm going to use AMSOIL. I've heard that Mobil 1 isn't even a pure Synth. As far as I know the only oil in the US that is 100% synth is AMSOIL. Anyone feel free to correct me, but then that will force me to go and find where I read about the oils. And that **** was boring as hell.
Not true about Amsoil being the only 100% synthetic oil. Also, there really is no point in switching from Royal Purple to Amsoil, only thing you'll be changing is the name. Both excellent oils and probably more than our cars require, which is why I won't stop using either.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 PM

Amsoil is NOT Audi-approved. A complete list of VAG-approved oils can be found here:

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/....0023.File.pdf

I am currently using Mobil 1 0w40, which is factory fill for B6 1.8t's. To my knowledge, most dealers use Castrol Syntec for the 1.8t.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Papachristou

since you have a b6, only use audi approved oils, mobil 1 being one of them, as is castrol euro formula.. i like 0 40w for winter... also make SURE you get the BIG filter.. dealership has them for about $10, its about as tall as a 16oz energy drink and about 4" across... the small one is like one of those little miniature cokes (=i hope u like my analogies) i get a mobil 1 large filter M-301 i believe for $9.99 at autozone...

also to lessen your risk of sludge, change the oil and filter every 5k and drive easy your last few miles to allow the engine to cool, i also crack my door and wait till my car stops the dinging (about 1.5 minutes i think) to further allow the oil to cool
Exactly what he said =)

Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 PM

hey man changing the oil is extremely easy when you get under the car (on our 3.0) all you have to do is remove the splash guard and on the drivers side the oil filter and the oil pan bolt is right there just pop the bolt out and keep an eye on how full your drip pan gets lol, let it drain for a few minutes then take off the filter (i needed a filter wrench) lube the seal on the new filter put that on nice n hand tight dont overdue it, then put your pil pan plug back in and tighten down but not too much because i do believe these are aluminum? CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG... then grab your funnel with 6-7 quarts of mobil 1 0w 40 dump 6 cans in, start the car for a few seconds to get the oil into the filter and such check the dipstick and probably have to add 3/4 of the 7th quart into the crank case as i had too!! good luck and itll save yah some extra cash