B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

'P R N D' lights flashing - codes appear & reverse fails

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM
1st Gear
Default 'P R N D' lights flashing - codes appear & reverse fails

Hello All,

I need some help 'Please'.

I drive an A4 (2004) sedan 2.0 and the other week I hit an issue.

When I turned the car on the 'P R N D ' lights went all red and began to flash on the dash.

Then we I put the car into 'R' the R light didn't light up and there was no power in the reverse.

The next day everything was fine. It happens once approx 10% of the time I start the car.

I then went to my local garage and he scanned it for me.

The following appeared:

================================================== ====================

Engine:

17887 - Brake Boost Vacuum System: Mechanical Failure

Gear Box:

18201 - Trans Output Speed Sensor 2 ( G196) No signal

-> Part 1793 - Output Shaft Speed Sensor Signal Missing Sensor 2

17090 - Tran Range Sensor ( F125) Implausible Signal

-> Part P0706 Inhibitor Switch, Range Signal Out of Range

** We cleared the codes waited for it to re-occur and the same 3 codes appeared on a re-scan **
================================================== ==============================

My question is:

Which part/sensor should I be purchasing to attempt to fix this issue and what should be the approx price?

My mechanic said his happy to fix however I need to provide him with the correct part and instruction may help.

I called Audi and they said to ignore those codes...they will need to rescan and diagnose themselves $300. Great!!! I'm made of $$$

Any help would be unreal.

Cheers

David

Old 03-07-2009, 11:55 AM

I just had the same think happen to my car which is 2004 a4 1.8t. took it in to the dealer and it was the transmission module that went bad. for parts and labor it cost $1800 to get it fixed. When the driver indicator lights blink like your car is in limp mode which does not allow your car to go past 3rd gear . thats what i was told.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 AM
1st Gear

Hi, Cheers for your reply.

I'm trying to determine if my car is in the situation. I find that the gears are changing 1 to 5 no problems....I haven't had any trouble with the gears. I'm yet to do anything about it......It's only happened once in the last week. Hence why I suspect a sensor rather then a techincal fault but dont know how to prove that!

Cheers

David.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Default Same issue - A6 3.0 CVT

So, I have the same issue. I have 88K miles on the car (2003 A6 3.0) with the same 'PRND' flashing light, reverse failing situation. It happened a few days ago and then seemed to be okay. It happened again this morning and I was able to go on to work. At lunch, it happened again. I called the dealership, who told me to pull over and have it towed. I drove it in, but it is a $2100 fix. It is the transmission linkage to the shifter. Bummer.....

Getting it fixed versus a new car payment.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:07 PM

I have a 2004 1.8t with about 40k miles. Same issues as stated above. What exactly is this issue? I can't quite figure out what the TCM is or does. In addition, I have a dull "hummm" or "whirl" sound on the right side of the car. The noise gets quieter as I sit idle, but gets a bit louder as I begin moving. I am afraid I have 2 problems....the TCM and a fuel pump issue. Could this all be related? Suggestions???

Old 03-24-2009, 03:43 PM

wow this seems very common :/

Old 03-27-2009, 04:34 AM
1st Gear

Update:

Last week I decided to take my car into Audi and get a quote on fixing the issue.

These diagnostics tests showed that the TRANS CONTROL UNIT was faulty and that I need to repair this as soon as possible.

cost: $4000AUD (On My GOD!!!!) With my wife not working it looks like I won't be driving this car for a while.

They mentioned that the TRANS CONTROL UNIT needs to be programmed especially for my car. Is this true? anyone?

They mentioned that they might be able to fix it under "GOODWILL" however they rejected this because I have NOT owned the car from new. I purchased it 2nd hand.

I am very sad to say the least.

My uncle is a Mechanic is there anyway I can get this part myself and fit it?

Cheers

David.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:52 AM
2nd Gear

I'm sure you could get the part and do it. It's probably not that difficult.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
4th Gear

check audiworld and see what they have to say.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem 2006 Audi a4 2.0t :/

Quick Reply: 'P R N D' lights flashing - codes appear & reverse fails