B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

P0706 Code PRNDS Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

Thanks! I plan to check for any obvious wire harness issues first, then double check fluid level @ 45c. And, possibly pull the TCM and clean (check) the sensors of any metal particles. If I find metal I'll reinstall and cross my fingers.

After receiving your rebuilt TCM did it have to be re-programed?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

I didn't have any metal in my fluid at all. It was surprisingly clean but it was quite dark.

Since the unit came out of my car it did not require re-programming.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

Im sorry to say this but its time for you to get rid of the car. I had mine and i had the same code, took it to the dealer and the only way to fixed was the rebuild tmc which i got quoted almost 2k for it. Changing the fluid its not going to help because i did that too and didn't change anything, transmission started slipping in reverse so i made a decision to get rid of the car and and not worry about it anymore.
this is my story with this code but good luck..

Old 04-05-2013, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BesI
Im sorry to say this but its time for you to get rid of the car. I had mine and i had the same code, took it to the dealer and the only way to fixed was the rebuild tmc which i got quoted almost 2k for it. Changing the fluid its not going to help because i did that too and didn't change anything, transmission started slipping in reverse so i made a decision to get rid of the car and and not worry about it anymore.
this is my story with this code but good luck..
I appreciate your take on it. Fortunately or unfortunately I can do most of the work myself. Not looking foreword to pulling the TCM though. My particular model may require removal of the rear section of the trans.; hopefully while it is still in the car.... I've already replaced so many of the items that wear out at 110,000 miles; starter, alternator, timing belt, water pump, crankcase breather system, axles, rear cam seal, temp. sensor and housing, rear calipers, rotors, pads, tires..... I suppose I keep thinking I'll get it to a place where nothing breaks for awhile!

I thought Audi had gotten their act together since the 90's?

Sad.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

I was quite surprised at how easy it is to R&R the TCM.
1) raise car so it sits on jackstands level and tires are about 8" off the ground.
2) drain fluid
3) unbolt crossmember / transmissiion mount - It will have to hang against the exhast.
4) disconnect TCM connection
5) disconnect cable support at top of transmission cover
6) remove 12 cover bolts, cover and old gasket
7) remove three bolts holding TCM to transmission and remove TCM
Install in reverse order.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Thanks,
I was concerned that some spring or?, would come flying out. But it doesn't sound too difficult. There is a fair amount of room under there since it is FWD. I do feel a bit more comfortable now but still think it's to soon for transmission problems. I've owned 16 German cars over the years and never had a transmission issue besides clutch parts. Most of my cars had 200,000 plus before selling them, and most were manual...

Thanks again. I will dive in this week or very soon.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Cuda66
I finished the TCM repair / re-install at a total cost of $875.00. XeModeX in Canada repaired my TCM and it took less than three days to complete the repair. I pulled the TCM and shipped it on day one, they received, repaired and shipped on day two, I recieved it on the morning of the third day and installed it that afternoon.
Filling the transmission wasn't an issue either. I used a gear fluid oil pump (Item #40714 harbour frieght) to fill it. The tube fits snugly into the filler hole and didn't allow any overflow.
A new gasket was $10.00 from the dealer and I'm cheap so I reused the original bolts without a problem.
It's running fine and no more flashing "PRNDS"

Audi TCM Module Repair and Return - Xemodex Inc. | Xemodex Inc.
Did you have to take the rear housing off the tranny or can the TCM be removed without taking the tranny apart? Also I have read that you have to have a vag-com to read the fluid temp in order to refill tranny fluid;True or False? By the way I have an 06 A4 2.0T FWD with seemingly TCM issues; but looks to me like the rear housing of tranny does not need to be removed in order to remove TCM

Last edited by michaelh839; 06-09-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 AM
1st Gear

Yes you have to remove the rear cover to remove the TCM
I didn't use a temp gauge at all to fill the fluid. I got the car up to operating temperature (after filling the transmission w/ engine running) by driving around the neighborhood, and topped it off again. The fill port is a tube that goes about 3" into the transmission allowing you to fill the transmission and any excess will drain back out. When you top it off make sure, the engine is up to temp, engine is running and you put in more fluid than is needed. Pull the fill tube and once it stops draining you are full.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

So if I do nothing at all, and I can live with the problems with driving the auto(which are intermittent) how long will it still drive and what damage can it cause?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 AM
1st Gear

My wife drove the car for two years before I fixed the CMU. 95% of the time it drove normally and the check engine light would go out occasionally. The delay was mostly financial because I was not going to pay over $2K to have the dealer fix it and couldn't find another source. Once I found the source, time was still an issue. There doesn't seam to be any type of internal damage and there was no metal in the fluid to speak of. If your only issue is the flashing indicator then I don't think it will cause any other damage to continue driving it.

Quick Reply: P0706 Code PRNDS Flashing