B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

P0706 Code PRNDS Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:59 PM
1st Gear
Default PO706 error

Hi,

I am new to this forum so I am not sure whether I should create a new post or just reply this one since my problem is similar, and the last update to this thread was just couple weeks ago.

I have a Audi A4, 2007 model, bought on 06. milage 51k now. This morning the engine light is on and PRNDS was flashing. I turned off the engineer and turned on again then the flashing disappear, but light still on. I took it to Pep Boys to get free code look up and it is PO706. So I searched and found this thread. The engine check light is off now, but Pep Boys guy told me that I should have it fixed now.

1) Someone mentioned that there is a class suit for the TCM, but it only covers to 06 model. My car is 07 model but bought on 06. Is it excluded from the settlements?

2) I purchased extended warranty from the Audi dealer when I bought the car (but the warranty is not from Audi, it was my first new car purchase so I didn't understand these), which covers for 3 more years until this Oct. It's said to the platinum coverage with $200 deductible (I only used it once, and dealer charged me $200 while other autoshop would charge only $150). Will the TCM be covered by warranty or not? I can ask dealer tomorrow but want to hear some comments here first.

3) I read this thread and someone said the repair will take 3 days to 2 weeks. This is only car in my family and we are busy recently. I saw someone said that they continue to drive it for a while. Is there any further damage or safety hazard if I continue to drive it for couple weeks (and sometime on freeway) or I should have it fixed now?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Originally Posted by Cuda66
I’m just looking for a little confirmation / clarification. I have a 2005 A4 1.8t CVT Cabriolet and have been getting the flashing PRNDS intermittently for the last month. I have only experienced drivability problems on two occasions. The first was the reason I noticed the problem. I accelerated up to speed (50+ mph) then the car acted like it was in neutral, The engine would only rev as I coasted down the street switching from N-D-S and back. SEL and shift indicator were flashing. The indicator changed as I shifted but the transmission would not engage. Even after coming to a stop it would not engage. I shut it off and restarted the car and the car drove normally. I still had the SEL constantly on and the indicator flashing as I drove away. The indicator stopped flashing a few minutes later. The codes I pulled were P0507 - Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected and P0706 - transmission range sensor circuit - range/performance After clearing the codes I have not had the P0507 again. The other drivability issue was also a onetime occurrence. I pulled into a parking space and the car acted like I had a manual transmission and stalled because the transmission would not disengage. P07056 was the only code and the indicator was flashing. The current state is the car drives normally, but the code P0706 is generated only when the transmission is put into park. If the codes have been cleared then "PRNDS" are indicated normally. R does not light up when selected and P causes the flashing and the SEL to come on.
I’m fairly confident that the TCM is bad and needs to be replaced by reading the numerous postings. But I have a few questions as to how I should get the repair done. Choice #1 is the dealership which I’m sure would be the easiest and most costly. #2 would be me doing the repair in my garage, which I am quite capable of with the right information.
My first question is – Does the TCM need to be reprogrammed after installing, and if so does it have to be done by the dealer? I have seen conflicting posts on this matter.
#2 What type of fluid does the CVT require? I have Amsoil Synthetic transmission fluid, will this work? Or do I need to use OE fluid?
#3 Does anyone have a used TCM for a cheap price? Budget does not allow the dealer fix so I’m willing to chance a used part at this time.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

Just picked up an 04 A4 automatic with 116K miles on it. The codes I got are P0706 ( flashing PRDN) and P0507 ( Idle air control system RPM higher than expected ).

Also, when I put the car in reverse, it hits/slips and cars wants to stall.

Would changing the TCM fix the reverse problem? Has anybody had that issue?
I don't mind spending the $800 on a new TCM but i don't wanna be stuck with a transmission that's reverse is slipping.

Any help would be appreciated!