B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Please, please, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Please, please, please help!

Well, I just got my car back from the dealer I purchased it from and I was able to get almost everything fixed (passenger's seat motor, right folding mirror, etc).They were unable to fix/replace my main computer switch so that I can cycle through the different modes on the onboard computer (avg, mpg, etc). Apparently my switch is bad which I find hard to believe considering all the buttons on the wiper stalk are working except for the end button that cycles through the modes. Even the reset button is working as it should. So as it stands, I am stuck with the "miles to empty" mode. The dealer told me I had to take the car to an Audi dealer because they cannot access the steering whell column due to the anti-theft system. Does that make sense? If that's the case, how much am I expected to pay in parts and labor? Finally, do you guys know of any possible DIY solutions? I read somewhere that there is a way to disable different modes so you don't have to cycle through all of them and I'm wondering if the previous owner accidentaly disabled all of them but the current one.

Please help me as this is something that has really been bothering me.

Thanks in advance...

Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Please, please, please help!

So just one button stopped working??? Did u do something to it???
Have u heard about VagCom??? That thing might help you.
Usually, Audi dealer will charge u jut about $100 to look at your car and find the problem. I would take it to any European car mechanic for a cheap, if not free check.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

I didn't do anything to it. I purchased the car as-is and didn't notice this problem until I already had it. I have heard about Vag-Com but haven't purchased it yet. I do have the OBD-II cable but haven't invested in the software yet. Is it worth it? How much is it and what features can I run with the free version?

I spoke to Audi right now and they told me that the problem might be the switch indeed and that to replace it it would cost $195.00 just for the part. They did say they'd like to diag the car first to make sure it is the switch since there is no refunds. I'm going to try to hit some Euro mechanics around here and see what they say.

I was just hoping someone would be able to show me how I could install this new stalk myself.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:08 AM
3rd Gear

Do u still have the warranty???
In your case id say go to a Euro mechanic and see what they tell you.
VagCom is usefull thing, especially if you mod your the car.
Check out their website to see what you can do with a Free version.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

Will any of these stalks work with my 2003 A4 Cabriolet?

http://search.ebay.com/audi-stalk_W0...dsreturnedZ300

I was thinking of getting that first one but I don't know what they mean by "Saloon models only".

It looks a tad different than mine physically, but I'm wondering if it'll still fit and work as it should.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:25 AM
3rd Gear
Old 06-27-2008, 11:31 AM

The cheapest way out it to click the button below the wiper switch stalk. If it is still working you can toggle through the 1st display panel to the second panel to a blank display. Not an ideal solution if you want the on-board computer, but it costs $0.00 if it resolves the issue.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

The button on the bottom (Reset button) doesn't switch through the modes I'd like. Basically, all it does is switch the display ON/OFF. I guess it's because I'm stuck to the "Miles Until Empty" mode. I would like to be able to switch to the other modes such as MPG, etc.