B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

SRT-4 or A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Eric_C
Actually on other cars in its class, at its point of introduction power front/roll rear was commonplace.
It was a cheap car, a car you could buy, spend $400 on and get 300+ HP.

Oops, hit the wrong button, meant to edit and not quote.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Eric_C
After trying to find out some more info on what race class they meant by IT Miata I found there is a ITB kit which I referred to above as the super wazoo intake, ITB's are Independent Throttle bodies. I made a guess of around 170max HP but from reading some max effort cars have gotten to 200rwhp in a ITB setup at a fantastic cost. At 200whp he most likely would have overtaken the A4 on the straights, the HP difference was huge leading me to go with stock power levels.

Oh and I used to own and track a 340hp T03/04 Miata.
Thanks for the info - Miatas are not something I've ever really known about beyond their basic specs, and it's always good to learn new things.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by auditech79
Manufactured by chrysler yes, but it was in part mitsubishi's help in design. There has been great bebate if its indeed better than the 4G63 engine. Both of them have crank walk problems if i remember right. I still think the 4G63 has more potential when in fully built form.
You sir are an idiot.

The A855/A853 was a bastard Mexican/American combo with design help from Daimler while they still had a hand in DCX.

2nd, while in reality the 4g63 is longer proven, it is seriously defunct compared to the A855/853. Sadly, the srt4 head breathes better than the 4g63t, somehow. larger intake valves, 1 or 2 (don't remember) smaller ex valves, and a better design allow it to breathe better, which still amazes me, because it takes FOREVER to spool a mid to large frame turbo with 2.4l. Both engines bottom end has roughly the same breaking point, somewhere between 600 and 750bhp. That is a broad range, but there are documented bone stock versions of each making power levels even in excess of that. That being said, any engine can make 1000bhp once.

There was absolutely no help from Mitsu in developing any DCX late model engine until the world engine cam around. 1.8-2.4 liters of American/Japanese/Korean fury! The 4b11 and its brothers and sisters in dcx and hyundai masks are possibly the best designed 4 bangers ever. Mitsu fought long and hard, but it was finally realized that the exhaust in front was a terrible design, and was the reason so many dsm's and evo's were prone to oil heating problems due to the million degree (not really fanboi) dp directly under the pan.

Finally, the A855/853 are in no way at all even remotely prone to crankwalk.

OP, I have a lot of experience with SRT4s, and I can tell you that you are making a very very poor choice by deciding between these 2 cars. The srt4 neon and the a4 1.8t are totally and fundamentally different. If you want a very nice, refined ride, capable of making big power with a decent amount of cash then get the A4, you wont be sorry. If you want to go to the dragstrip and run low 12's for $500 in parts 1000 times and never have to worry about anything but a clutch, buy the srt4. Its really that simple.

One more thing, for all the naysayers that claim the SRT is only for the straight lines, talk to 1lapsrt at srtforums. That is Doug Wind. If you don't follow RTA, he is beating Unlimited Class RWD and AWD cars' times in a SRT4. There is going to be another entry in RTA this year as well, a custom dry carbon widebody gt35r making 650fwhp+ on turbo only in FWD unlimited. And the SRT4s in Speed World Challenge are carrying more weight than any other car in its class, with NO power upgrades.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:23 PM
4th Gear

Is that $500 in parts going to include drag radials or slicks? Because we all know without sticky tires a FWD car isn't going to go anywhere at the track, something that isn't exactly a problem in an A4 quattro.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 PM

I actually just sold my SRT-4 to get into an 02 Audi A4. The SRT like stated gets NO respect no matter what you have done to it. But it is very very cheap power and very high potential. I flat out just got sick of driving it.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

I would go with the A4. The Neon and Caliber SRT just look silly. I have seen the Neon SRT-4 here in Germany and while they look competent enough, on the Autobahn it is a totally different story. The stock suspension on those things are horrendous. I have seen several (US versions) flipped along the autobahn, when they attempted to go over 120mph on curves, really sad. Cheap tuning however, go for an SRT (just fix the jacked up suspension!)

Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 AM
1st Gear

All I really want right now is something that I can build on that has good stock power and a good strong platform that I don't mind driving on a daily basis for a while. I keep hearing about the problems with audi's reliability. I love Audi but I don't have the money for the maintenance issues right now. Plus i like the newer A4's better so I think i'll wait. Thanx for all the imput.

O, and the fact that SRT-4's don't get alot of respect makes me want it even more.

Last edited by sidsa4; 01-12-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Is that $500 in parts going to include drag radials or slicks? Because we all know without sticky tires a FWD car isn't going to go anywhere at the track, something that isn't exactly a problem in an A4 quattro.
Yeah, thats exactly what it includes. you figure 250 for used slicks and wheels. 50-100 for a used or new adjustable wastegate actuator, and maybe another 150-250 for a used DSP(not needed). In factory trim, with a good driver a srt4 neon will run 13.8-14.20 at anywhere between 100 and 108, spinning through 1st and part of 2nd. The slicks really help. Many guys have bone stock cars with just slicks and are running mid-high 12s consistently. Stock unmolested factory turbo and mani has gone 11.99 or better a few times, but it is VERY rare.

You are right tho for sure, the quattro does not have traction issues by any means, but the srt does have a good 400-600lbs on the a4 depending on model/trim/etc. so lb for lb on the same whp or the same money invested, the srt will ALWAYS be faster. That being said, I personally think the A4 is leagues ahead of the srt in every other department. Had the a4 come with s1+ type power levels from the factory i think it would be the very best car in its class. I would rather trade a ******** than get out of an audi. As far as mother mopar, more than likely never again, unless it was built before the vietnam war...

Last edited by hercfe; 01-12-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 AM
2nd Gear

Let's see, one is a neon and the other is an audi, not hard at all. No matter how fast it goes, you'd still be driving a NEON.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by hercfe
Yeah, thats exactly what it includes. you figure 250 for used slicks and wheels. 50-100 for a used or new adjustable wastegate actuator, and maybe another 150-250 for a used DSP(not needed). In factory trim, with a good driver a srt4 neon will run 13.8-14.20 at anywhere between 100 and 108, spinning through 1st and part of 2nd. The slicks really help. Many guys have bone stock cars with just slicks and are running mid-high 12s consistently. Stock unmolested factory turbo and mani has gone 11.99 or better a few times, but it is VERY rare.

You are right tho for sure, the quattro does not have traction issues by any means, but the srt does have a good 400-600lbs on the a4 depending on model/trim/etc. so lb for lb on the same whp or the same money invested, the srt will ALWAYS be faster. That being said, I personally think the A4 is leagues ahead of the srt in every other department. Had the a4 come with s1+ type power levels from the factory i think it would be the very best car in its class. I would rather trade a ******** than get out of an audi. As far as mother mopar, more than likely never again, unless it was built before the vietnam war...

Well I think most peope would rather spend $4k to get the A4 into the 12's which it can do on street tires and still run as quick on the street vs getting a SRT4 that needs a tire swap at the track to be just as quick and cant hold its own on the street because of the lack of traction. Exactly why I sold my GST eclipse and still own my Audi. Traction FTMFW