B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Steering Pump Noise After New Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 07:29 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Steering Pump Noise After New Rack

I installed a new rack as my old one leaked. Since then, but not before, the power steering pump is whining.

I flushed the system before the rack replacement. I also bled the system after installation numerous times using accepted methods; jack front wheels, turn left to right 10 times, start engine, repeat, with engine off, apply vacuum to PS reservoir and so forth. The system holds a vacuum for 5 - 10 minutes.

When installing the rack, I used new banjo bolt washers on the rack and tightened to torque specs.

I had to remove the high pressure hose at the pump and did not use new washers to re-seal it as I did not have any. I did torque the banjo bolt, however.

I could:

1) Replace old PS pump banjo bolt washers

2) Flush and bleed the system.

Before I try those things, does anyone have any insight on what is wrong?

Many thanks,

John

Old 05-28-2018, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

I don't see why your banjo bolt washers are the issue. If they were bad they would be leaking power steering fluid. If it's not doing that then the washers are likely sealing, however couldn't hurt to change them if they are inexpensive. Does the Audi service manual say to change them? Usually when the service manual says to replace a bolt or washer, there is usually an engineering reason for doing so. You could bleed it again I guess but flushing it again makes no sense to me unless you are using incorrect power steering fluid. If you are using the correct power steering fluid are you sure you have enough fluid in the system before you start bleeding...making sure the level never goes below min during the bleeding process.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mobildetroit
I don't see why your banjo bolt washers are the issue. If they were bad they would be leaking power steering fluid. If it's not doing that then the washers are likely sealing, however couldn't hurt to change them if they are inexpensive. Does the Audi service manual say to change them? Usually when the service manual says to replace a bolt or washer, there is usually an engineering reason for doing so. You could bleed it again I guess but flushing it again makes no sense to me unless you are using incorrect power steering fluid. If you are using the correct power steering fluid are you sure you have enough fluid in the system before you start bleeding...making sure the level never goes below min during the bleeding process.
Correct fluid, Pentosin CHF 11 S. Fluid level was at reservoir empty stage when rack was leaking. I flushed system, then added new fluid and bled after rack was installed.

Thank you for commenting.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Bad Pump?

I also should ask if I have a bad pump. How do we tell between a bad pump and air in system? -

Old 05-31-2018, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Does the fluid get foamy after the steering whines? If so, air getting in. If not, maybe something wrong with the rack. Does the system whine while not turning the steering wheel? Fluid is supposed to bypass the rack's cylinder without resistance unless wheel effort causes the valve to open. Could also be a total coincidence that the pump developed a fault.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:25 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo510
Does the system whine while not turning the steering wheel?
Mine does this. What could it be?

Subscribed.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by OneLeggedFreak
Mine does this. What could it be?

Subscribed.
A pump that whines is very likely drawing in air someplace. On older cars like B6s, the rubber hoses can be bad, especially the small one that feeds the pump's inlet port. Mine (on a 3.0 V6) was totally hard and wouldn't clamp tight. A new one, bought off Amazon I think, was about $17 and came with factory-type crimp clamps.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:44 AM
1st Gear
Originally Posted by turbo510
A pump that whines is very likely drawing in air someplace. On older cars like B6s, the rubber hoses can be bad, especially the small one that feeds the pump's inlet port. Mine (on a 3.0 V6) was totally hard and wouldn't clamp tight. A new one, bought off Amazon I think, was about $17 and came with factory-type crimp clamps.
Sounds like a DIY. Can you please help me pin point the specific hoses and I will check if I can replace it myself? (I'm old and new to this old car) :P