B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

stumped still getting code for cam timing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:40 PM
1st Gear
Default stumped still getting code for cam timing.

ok so ive changed the tensioner twice and done the timing 3 times because of this code im getting.

I originally got the code for intake cam over retarded so i replaced the chain tensioner.

now i get a code for intake cam over advanced. hence why i checked and re did the cam timing on the chain side. i still got the code so i replaced the tensioner again and checked timing. there is 16 chain links between the two sprockets and the marks on the cam sprocket as shown in the picture.

sorry for the crude art work but its the only way i could describe this. the intake cam as you can see in the picture is slightly to the right of the arrow after i remove the tensioner tool. i turned the engine over by hand twice and rechecked it, timing was still as it was. so i started it up, this time the car sounded normal during the initial start and drove normal.(before it sounded like it was misfiring the first 2 times i did the tensioner and timing).

the next day i checked with vag com and got the same code over advanced.
i bought the oil sump tube and doing it this weekend and will see..

but looking at where the intake cam sits in relation to the exhaust cam timing mark, what are the chances that the chain is infact stretched?

thanks

Attached Thumbnails stumped still getting code for cam timing.-cam-timing.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

Make sure you check your cam seals. I know, it sounds weird, but I was having a similar code problem and it turned out to be my cam seals were shot. I don't know if it's information lost in translation or what, but that's how they set the computer up to recognize the issue. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Computer Bloo
Make sure you check your cam seals. I know, it sounds weird, but I was having a similar code problem and it turned out to be my cam seals were shot. I don't know if it's information lost in translation or what, but that's how they set the computer up to recognize the issue. Good luck.
i replaced the cam seal on the intake cam when i did the tensioner, 3 times lol.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

Not trying to be rude since you did the timing 3 times...but the engine IS at TDC when you are aligning the chain links and the cams correct? Crank is lined up TDC? How did you check the timing? Looking at your 1st pick, the notches aren't right on, I'm assuming that's the drawing, but mine weren't either a couple of times and I had no issues-but after I hand cranked it a few times, the notches lined up pretty much dead center.....when you finished putting the tensioner in, did you hand crank the engine (do a full rotation) a few times by hand and watch the tensioner and THEN check and count the links again (if you made marks they won't be lined up an anymore, but you still should have 16 links and be DEAD on). Once re-assembled, you SHOULD hand crank it a few times, get it back to TDC and then count the links again.

did you torque the bolts down correctly on the cams? Also, have you checked the cam shaft positioning sensor (CPS)?

Here's a link for the DIY on the B5 for the tensioner...photos are a little better to look at (not trying to offend your drawings)...if you look at them, are yours lined up like that?
Cam Tensioner DIY - AudiForums.com

If you're getting the p0021 or over retarded code then it could also be the CPS and/or the following:
Dirty engine oil,Low engine oil level, sludge (I would check the oil pickup tube/screen in the oil pan as well),Faulty camshaft actuator,Camshaft actuator circuit open or shorted,Camshaft actuator circuit poor electrical connection....

Here's a link on checking the CPS:
http://www.dj-sures.com/GraphicFiles...20checking.pdf

Last edited by markymarc; 01-18-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by markymarc
Not trying to be rude since you did the timing 3 times...but the engine IS at TDC when you are aligning the chain links and the cams correct? Crank is lined up TDC? How did you check the timing? Looking at your 1st pick, the notches aren't right on, I'm assuming that's the drawing, but mine weren't either a couple of times and I had no issues-but after I hand cranked it a few times, the notches lined up pretty much dead center.....when you finished putting the tensioner in, did you hand crank the engine (do a full rotation) a few times by hand and watch the tensioner and THEN check and count the links again (if you made marks they won't be lined up an anymore, but you still should have 16 links and be DEAD on). Once re-assembled, you SHOULD hand crank it a few times, get it back to TDC and then count the links again.

did you torque the bolts down correctly on the cams? Also, have you checked the cam shaft positioning sensor (CPS)?

Here's a link for the DIY on the B5 for the tensioner...photos are a little better to look at (not trying to offend your drawings)...if you look at them, are yours lined up like that?
Cam Tensioner DIY - AudiForums.com

If you're getting the p0021 or over retarded code then it could also be the CPS and/or the following:
Dirty engine oil,Low engine oil level, sludge (I would check the oil pickup tube/screen in the oil pan as well),Faulty camshaft actuator,Camshaft actuator circuit open or shorted,Camshaft actuator circuit poor electrical connection....

Here's a link on checking the CPS:
http://www.dj-sures.com/GraphicFiles...20checking.pdf
when i set the engine for TDC i used the line on the crank pulley and cover and made sure the cam gear(belt side) line matched with the line on the valve cover.

i did rotate engine twice(total of 4 rotations) at lined up tdc again. and there was still 16 chain links.

im getting the code for over advanced.

i have replaced the CPS and code still exists.

i also picked up the oil pickup tube and O-ring but have not installed these yet. and ive changed the oil all 3 times when i did the tensioner.

thanks for the links i will check the cps connector and replace the pickup tube(dreading this part because its a pain to get to :-/)

Last edited by tofast2belast; 01-18-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear

So, is that the code you're getting, the p0021? And you are clearing it and it's coming back correct?

What engine do you have?

Last edited by markymarc; 01-18-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear

Here's a link to a Audi TSB PDF, may or may not help you:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...59568121,d.cWc

And you haven't changed type of oil you are using? If it's not oil pressure, CPS, tensioner, wiring...only thing really left is the ECU.....

Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

The code comes back after driving for a while sometimes a day or two.

This is the code

16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

And I have tried different oils

Old 01-18-2014, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear

Other things it could be:
Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) or a faulty Fuel Pump Relay (J17) according to trouble shooting guide....

Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 AM
1st Gear

ok so ive replaced the oil sump pump tube and there was crap in the screen of the tube. so hopefully this fixes the issue.

Quick Reply: stumped still getting code for cam timing.