B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Sudden power loss -restarting fixes it temporarily?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Sudden power loss -restarting fixes it temporarily?

I turned on the car like normal and it ran like normal but as soon as I hit the gas pedal to accelerate I heard a slight whine/whistle as it spooled up. (i've got some mods, apr chip,exhaust, injecters, diverter valve etc..)

Then suddenly after only getting 2 blocks the motor bucked and kicked like it was misfiring with NO power, a visit to auto zone confirmed 3 cods, random multiple misfire, misfire on 2 and misfire on 4. I was leaving Iowa for Minnesota and had a 4 hour drive... I turned the car off and waited a minute... Turned it back on and off several times and each time it got better, in fact the last time I just left it running and drove to Advanced to check the codes. I disconnected the battery for a while to clear the check engine light... When it happens the check engine light flashes.

This happened 2 or 3 more times on the trip. The trick is to turn the car off as soon as it happens and turn it back on and every thing is fine. But it seems to happen again eventually. Also my keyless remotes stopped working! Did I short something or blow a fuse when I disconnected the battery? Or do I need to reprogram the remotes because I disconnected the battery?

Are the coil packs bad?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:53 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jacobsen
I turned on the car like normal and it ran like normal but as soon as I hit the gas pedal to accelerate I heard a slight whine/whistle as it spooled up. (i've got some mods, apr chip,exhaust, injecters, diverter valve etc..)

Then suddenly after only getting 2 blocks the motor bucked and kicked like it was misfiring with NO power, a visit to auto zone confirmed 3 cods, random multiple misfire, misfire on 2 and misfire on 4. I was leaving Iowa for Minnesota and had a 4 hour drive... I turned the car off and waited a minute... Turned it back on and off several times and each time it got better, in fact the last time I just left it running and drove to Advanced to check the codes. I disconnected the battery for a while to clear the check engine light... When it happens the check engine light flashes.

This happened 2 or 3 more times on the trip. The trick is to turn the car off as soon as it happens and turn it back on and every thing is fine. But it seems to happen again eventually. Also my keyless remotes stopped working! Did I short something or blow a fuse when I disconnected the battery? Or do I need to reprogram the remotes because I disconnected the battery?

Are the coil packs bad?

swap coil packs around and see if the misfire follows the coil pack.

as for the keyless entry you just have to pair the fob to the car again.

take 1 remote

put in key to on position but do not start car

-press and hold lock button on remote and press and hold lock button on door.
-release lock button on door then on keyfob
-repeat steps above for unlock button.
turn car off and pull key from ignition and then reinsert key and repeat the step above 1 more time.

test remote

now with the key thats paired leave in ignition to on position.

take second key and step outside car and close door.
put key in drivers side door and press and hold lock while turning the key to lock the door. hold for a few seconds. then let go of the key.
-press and hold unlock while turning key to unlock position for a few seconds.
-pull key out and test it.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

I woke up this morning and the key fob worked again. ???

I bought a cheap set of champion plugs to see if gapping the Iridiums screwed things up. I read the computer again here in minnesota and the codes are random multiple misfire, misfire on 1, miss on 3 and miss on 4. I'm swapping plugs now and if that doesn't do any thing I'll switch around the coil packs, but is it common 3 to fail at the same time??? My cousin has the same car and says his car did the same thing when his fuel pump was going out.